93' Allante - Where to find an engine? Are they rebuildable?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 93' Allante - Where to find an engine? Are they rebuildable? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey all, I'm a mechanic, but not real familiar with the innards of the Northstar. Was driving around in my ...
    lastchanceservice is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Allante

93' Allante - Where to find an engine? Are they rebuildable?

Hey all,

I'm a mechanic, but not real familiar with the innards of the Northstar. Was driving around in my Allante' and noticed it making a solid, deep knocking sound. A good friend who is "n* knowledgeable" listened to my car and informed me that the engine had a sleeve loose, and it was knocking into the head. I will verify that seems to be accurate, as it's making two taps every crankshaft rotation. He claims they are a disposable engine that were never meant to be rebuilt, unless you had a ton of money to sink into them. This engine was installed 100k ago, when the original engine failed at 194k appx. It died a death of "oil pressure low, stop engine." Supposedly a cam had failed (according to diagnostic paperwork from the Cadillac dealership.)

So, for a person on a *tight* budget, what are my options? Nobody seems to be willing to rebuild it, and those that are willing to do the machine work for me and I do the reassembly myself seem to be charging too much. Supposedly this Northstar is specific to this car as it has some different mechanical specs.... What to do?

Thanks, Bill S.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

Re: 93' Allante - Where to find an engine? Are they rebuildable?

If they are sleeved, then it is logical they are rebuildable/resleeveable.

I do not buy the theory the engines were throwaways.

The N*engine, being used in a lot of GM rides, should be easily found.

===> Do I understand that your Allante has 294K on the odometer?

lastchanceservice is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Allante

Yes, my Allante' has, actually (I went to check) 297,144 miles on it currently. Rarely gets driven under 75-80mph, its my highway car. It get's it's best gas mileage at 70, 28.7, at 80 I get about 24.8mpg. Always been immaculately maintained, at least mechanically. It's difficult to cosmetically maintain an Allante', the interior just falls apart, especially the under-dash sound dampeners, ash tray assembly, shifter boot assembly, and seat bolsters.

I have done a bit of research since my post, calling Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators for some information on the N* engine. He says there is no way the sleeve is loose, that they're poured in, and it must be a rod bearing. While my mechanic (I don't work on most of this newer stuff) says "drive it till it breaks, no big deal," I'm thinking a rod bearing is a bit more serious. I'd really like to be able to rebuild my engine, and if it's got a hole in the side where a rod has traveled through, that's never going to be possible.

Apparently the "throw-away" comment comes from excessively lazy mechanics and machinists. They're not necessarily throw away, they're just time consuming and complex. If there are no holes in the block, if the bores aren't completely destroyed, and if you pull the head bolts out and there's no aluminum on the threads, then I would have to assume that this engine can be re-used, at least from my recently gained knowledge.

I thank the internet for these forums, it's nice to have somewhere to ask questions to a multitude of people at once, and sort through the opinions and decide what's fact and what's crap. Too many lazy backyard mechanics where I live, they all want the money but don't want to work for it.

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

A rod bearing going out can/shall lead to quite a "big deal." You are right in not wanting a hole in the side of your engine. Difficult to repair!

I wonder if your Allante holds the record for most miles logged?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.