1989 theft deterrent wont start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By masmas
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 1989 theft deterrent wont start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, It started or should I say it began just over a week ago, turn the key, nothing, 2nd or ...
    masmas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 allante red soft top, subaru outback for the winter

1989 theft deterrent wont start

Hi,

It started or should I say it began just over a week ago, turn the key, nothing, 2nd or 3 try and it would start like normal and as if nothing happened, now it is more on the wont start side then the start side. after 4-5 tries the theft deterrent message shows up and I have to wait for 3 minutes before trying again. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. I've tried both separate keys, makes no difference. I am trying to narrow it down, jiggle the key in the switch, adjust the steering tilt. One time I even tried to start the car from outside the vehicle (no start) and the theft deterrent message popped right up. Any guesses out there?

later,

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1989 theft deterrent wont start

Do a google search for "how to by pass the VATS key" They usually break or partially break a wire in behind the switch itself, I think that's why its intermittent. By you using both keys and still not starting rules out a faulty pellet in the key.

I did more trouble shooting over the week end. I would start 5-6 times in a row in the driveway, come back 15 minutes later, nothing. I paid attention to the sounds and idiot lights coming on to see a pattern, nothing, I did notice that with the key in the ignition and putting down pressure on the key, the turn engine off high temperature light comes on (not related, but noted). I also noted that with the theft deterrent, wait 3 minutes, the engine did start all the same when I tried it 5 times in a row. I did notice at a 93 convertible merc 300 in a parking lot over the week end. Jealousy? I will pursue the bypass suggestion but I am afraid that it is tied in to various parts of the car's operation.

Mark

Harry Yarnell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V

Measure the value of the resitor pellet in the key, ad install a resistor of that value in the circuit for the VATS.
    Usually two thin white wires sheethed in an orange sleeve somewhere around the steering column.

To Harry and carnut,

I did the McGuyver repair this morning to make sure it worked before doing a Cadillac job repair (we actually use that term on the construction site) and it worked. Something had to be failing, as previously mentioned, off and on starts to lesser and lesser starts to no starts. There is a good site showing the repair (insert here http://vats.likeabigdog.com/). In my case the resistance was 887 I think no.4 on the chart, my neighborhood electronic shop had only 910 which is over the 2% fluff factor so I seried up 3 x 300 which gave me 890 when measured. I found the connector and reused it and voila, a start right up Allante. I also read in my research that this might only be a temp repair the module down the line might be next, but for now I am behind the wheel and enjoying the drive.

thanks again,

Mark
    OffThaHorseCEO likes this.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Thanks for posting the fix !

Here goes my 2nd try at posting 2 fotos of the before and after the resistor repair.

MarkIMG_20130910_234051 - Copy.jpg and IMG_20130911_002159.jpg

mark

moosejr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 Allante

While this will fix the problem IF the problem is the key, , it may not completely resolve the problem. I experienced the exact same symptoms. I went through all the trouble of replacing the lock tumbler, new key, whole works, , didn't fix it. It was the Theft Module itself that failed. If that turns out to be the issue, Newrockies (www.newrockies.com) has a replacement module that goes in and bypasses the theft system, , permanently bypassing the VATS system. They have great support and are happy to answer questions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.