Want to see what happens when your brakes fail?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Want to see what happens when your brakes fail? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Allante wreck.jpg My ABS light was on. I had the car for about a week. I went on an exit ...
    AllanteFarina is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville, 1990 AllantÚ

Want to see what happens when your brakes fail?

Allante wreck.jpg

My ABS light was on. I had the car for about a week. I went on an exit ramp, and put the brake on. Only the fronts were working. I was sliding all over the place. Then I took my foot off the pedal and pushed it again. This time the pedal sank all the way to the floor. No brakes, smashed into a semi and totalled the car.

Broken ankle, fractured knee from applying the brake so firmly at impact.

The brake light was on when I bought it, and the computer screen flashed the ABS message. I figured it just meant that I wouldn't have ABS- I had no idea that it meant that eventually the brakes were going to fail.

I walked up and down the exit ramp picking up little pieces of my brakes. Somewhat stupidly, I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and the top was down, so when I hit the trailer I was immediately ejected onto the grassy median. It was a fair chance that I could have been decapitated, since the car was stuck UNDER the trailer and they had to lift the trailer up with a wrecker in order to pull the car out.

I've come to find out that these Bosch brake systems were some of the worst ever built. I would have never purchased this vehicle knowing what I know now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You WALKED up and down the ramp, with a broken ankle, and fractured knee?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Want to see what happens when your brakes fail?

He had been driving the car around since at least June 23 - with a slew of DIC warnings. Look at his profile and find the first 2 posts on the car .......

What does the Allante owner's manual say about a constant BRAKE warning light ?

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Reminds me.
    I remember when I was quit young.
    My father and i worked on cars to help people out and make a few extra dollars.
    So a local guy brings us a beautiful thunderbird (1966 I think) it was probably around 10 years old.
    Says he is going on a trip to Ohio and wants us to check the vehicle over.
    So we find the brakes are about shot.
    We tell the guy and he says he cannot afford brake work at the time; says he will be careful and try to get them fixed later.
    The vehicle came back a mangled heap.
    Funny how you remember things like that.

Anyway hope you heal up well and quickly.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

I had bad brakes on a PT Cruiser about 5 years ago when my daughter was tiny. I couldn't afford to fix them, I had just gone in for an oil change and some tires, and the guy at Monro said he couldn't let me leave with a baby seat in the back in good conscience. He gave me a "student discount" and called my mother to explain to her that her grandchildren were in peril. That old guy doesn't work at Monro anymore, but he does some work out of his own garage. I use him whenever I can.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Why is it that people are more concerned about how a car runs rather than how well it stops?? Constantly read about cars found in barns and the next step is "lets see if it runs"

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    You WALKED up and down the ramp, with a broken ankle, and fractured knee?
    "Walked" isn't quite the right word. "Hobbled" is more like it.

He had been driving the car around since at least June 23 - with a slew of DIC warnings. Look at his profile and find the first 2 posts on the car .......

What does the Allante owner's manual say about a constant BRAKE warning light ?
    If you want to call a brake light and an "ABS" warning on the computer a "slew," then OK. I don't know what the owner's manual says because I don't have one. But thank you anyway, I appreciate your concern.

Anyway hope you heal up well and quickly.
    Thank you sir.

Why is it that people are more concerned about how a car runs rather than how well it stops?? Constantly read about cars found in barns and the next step is "lets see if it runs"
    This wasn't a barn car, as you can plainly see from the photos. I was very concerned about the brakes, as you'll notice my only other post in this forum was about the brakes.

----------

Oh, by the way, the first thing I did when I drove it home was take it to a garage. They said the brake light was on because the emergency braked didn't work. (Same thing the dealer told me.)

Went to a Cadillac dealer, and they told me they couldn't work on the brakes, but that there shouldn't be anything wrong.

Next stop was a Cadillac dealer 50 miles away, but as you can see I didn't quite make it that far.

fatrat125 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Hey. I'm glad carnut told me to read your post !!! I've got the same problem and thought that the light only meant that the lock up feature of abs wouldn't work. Had no idea that the brakes would fail!!! Thanks

Buster28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 ETC 18K miles, 1991 Allante 11K miles, 1996 ETC (sold)

The Allante Bosch III system Brake Warning Lamp will illuminate when:
    The fluid level in the hydraulic unit reservoir is too low.
    OR
    The hydraulic Accumulator pressure is too low.
    OR
    The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) detected problems in the EBCM or hydraulic unit.
    OR
    The Parking Brake is not released.

The DIC "Low Brake Fluid" message is commanded by the BCM when the reservoir low fluid switch is activated.
    The message is presented only when the ignition switch is On and will be followed by "Anti-Lock Disabled" message.

The DIC "Anti-Lock Disabled" message by itself indicates the ABS system is not working and is presented when the EBCM OR BCM detects a shutdown of the ABS system. 0n 90-92 Traction Control is combined with ABS so there will be a DIC "Traction Disabled" message when ABS is inoperative.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

"Geez, you guys sure are a bunch of cynics. Thankfully I won't have to hang around anymore, since my car was totalled and I no longer need to seek advice ..................................................

I'm a total cynic, you're right.

EDIT: Original post edited for language and insults. This quote ^ edited.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac AllantÚ: Pearl White

Thing is, there are a few sources of information for AllantÚs online.

One of the most reommended ones is Dick Hussey at AllantÚ source in Florida.
    When I went to look at my AllantÚ to possibly buy i already had a rough idea of what to look for, as any prospective owner of any car should. (EVERY model of EVERY make has that one "quirk" you should look out for)
    Everything checked out except the brake light, so i called up Dick Hussey. He walked me through resetting the parking brake, which turned the light off. To be safe, he also had me go through a few other steps to be SURE nothing was wrong with the brakes.

Cadillac dealers have great mechanics to be sure, but they are very generalized and trained to work on new stuff. They dont know the ins and outs of cars like the allante. People like Dick and Ron at allante source, tom rohner and johnny monzo makes this their livelihood. they see these cars on a daily basis. They KNOW these cars.

I know its too little too late but hopefully people in the future see this before buying an allante.

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

Each car may have its quirk, but the Allante has many, many! Definitely a high maintenance ride. No reason to shy away from, but one should definitely know what it is they are getting into in terms of diagnosis/maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    "Geez, you guys sure are a bunch of cynics. Thankfully I won't have to hang around anymore, since my car was totalled and I no longer need to seek advice ..................................................

I'm a total cynic, you're right.

EDIT: Original post edited for language and insults. This quote ^ edited.
    I never insulted you, since you didn't serve up a helping heap of "cynicism." I really dislike that you edited my post, because I believe that I'm totally justified in calling everyone that responded in a "cynical" manner "Self-righteous." There are things about these cars that anyone getting into one needs to know, and I believe that people should know that THESE BRAKES ARE CRAPPY without being hurled insults while pointing it out, either veiled or direct. I detect that since I'm a "newcomer", my cynicism isn't allowed while it runs rampant throughout this thread from other, more "enlightened" members.

I appreciate the members that private messaged me and apologized for the actions of their fellow forum members. It's cool guys, I'm all healed up right now and in a better mood, just upset that the leaning of the earlier posts read to me like "you're stupid, you deserved for your breaks to go out." Well, that's like me wishing anyone on this forum that their brakes go out with their family in the car with them and that they all die in a horrible wreck. I was very fortunate. I AM A REAL PERSON, not some anonymous name behind a computer screen. I don't believe I've ever heard of someone injuring themselves in an auto collision due to faulty equipment and then blaming the operator. Do you tell a skydiver's family, after he dies from a parachute malfunction, that it served him right because he should have checked his chute better? Good God almighty.

Oh, and in case anyone disbelieves anything I wrote here, I have been in touch with Dick Hussey since DAY ONE about these brakes. He walked me through several procedures to check for safety and they all ended up clean. My next stop, after the Cadillac dealer 50 miles away, was to drive from NC to Florida to let Dick rebuild my break system, at a cost of $1,000 to $1,500 depending on the exact problem.

Everyone should know that these brakes will eventually fail. A quick google search will reveal to you that it's not a matter of if the brake system is going to fail, it's when. Most Cadillac dealers will NOT work on this system, so be aware that you'll probably have to drive it to Florida to Mr. Dick Hussey who seems to be the only man on this planet that is able to work on these things.

I pray that what happened to me does not happen to anyone else on this forum. But if it does, be sure and call Faith76 and have him pick you up in his '94 Hearse. Meanwhile, I'll keep driving my 36 year old Coupe DeVille, which has never had the amount of "bugs" in 25 years that the AllantÚ had in two weeks.

Thank you for your time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.