87 stalling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 87 stalling in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm new here and any help would be great. Changed plugs cap rotor wires and ignition mod. Runs great but ...
    fatrat125 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I'm new here and any help would be great. Changed plugs cap rotor wires and ignition mod. Runs great but will stall while driving for know reason. The speedo will peg out when it does it also. The oil pressure sender by the distributor has been unplugged When plugged up oil light on. Was that way when I got it off eBay Was fudged a little!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 87 stalling

You need to verify oil pressure with a gauge screwed into the sender hole. (should be above 8 to 10 LB hot engine at idle) If the computer sees what it thinks is low oil pressure, it shuts off the electric fuel pump in the gas tank. The oil pressure sender is specific to the Allante. try www.allantesource.com if you need one.

Thanks for the reply. I have put a new sender in and the light is still on I put a mech gauge to check and make sure it had oil pressure The dash always shows good pressure under the temp. Also have only one fan runs all the time Shows something wrong with that what is correct? I got screwed by an eBay seller

I still think you have the wrong sender. The fan module on your car is mounted in front of the passenger front tire and was famous for failing to run both fans at the proper speeds. That same module can be found on 88 Eldos and Sevilles mounted on the radiator support behind the grille and is less likely to be faulty because its in a cool air stream. To get to your module you must get under the car and lower some plastic panels. Its below the headlight and is a large ribbed silver module with 2 harnesses plugged into it.

Ill check on trying to get a module. The sender I'm talking about is facing up Not the one laying down. The parts store says its right. It looks just like any other elec sender But I'm defiantly not an expert and appreciate all the help. It left me on the side of the road today after I got brave because it idled a long time. I've also got an 89 model so I swapped the map sensor. Ssdd.

The parts stores books are wrong in most cases. Its Allante specific. Talk to Dick at allantesource.com

I will call them. I am so burned out on working on it and the 89. I've had the 87 since march with no luck. I think the 89 fuel pump out. Will start on either it is not getting fuel. 87 was suppose to be a running and drivable car

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.