91 Allante Found In Garage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 91 Allante Found In Garage in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have an opportunity to purchase a 91 black/Tan interior Allante with 68k miles for $5,000. The car has been ...
    HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

91 Allante Found In Garage

I have an opportunity to purchase a 91 black/Tan interior Allante with 68k miles for $5,000.

The car has been sitting in a garage for 2 years and is sitting on 2 flat tires. The top has been left down the entire time and since the house it is sitting at is on the beach there is visible mildew on the dash and on the shifter and various spots elswhere.

But all in all it doesn't look too too bad given the length of time it has sat there.

I was told by someone that the ABS pump will most likely be bad, because most go bad after long storage periods. Is this true? Cost to repair? Is the car worth it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

Re: 91 Allante Found In Garage

not for 5k dollars it aint. 2,500 maybe 3k but other than that i dont think so. what year is it anyway? if it is a 93 with the Northstar, no it still isnt worth 5k. it aint worth that much. youll have to get a new battery, maybe maybe new seals in the engine, oil change, if what they say about the abs is true than yeah expensive im sure get the interior cleaned. then you will also have to get some new gas (and we all know how expensive gas is). you are looking at another 1k dollars in repair (give or take a few). but hopefully you will be able to get it and if so, good luck with it.

It is a 91, so no Northstar.

I was only going to buy this car to resell it. I offered the guy 3500 as it sits. He declined and said he was firm at 5000.

I guess I will have to pass if I have to buy it for 5k put another 1k into it and maybe sell it for 7k.

Only reason I really liked it was the low milage.

Quote Originally Posted by HITMONEY
    It is a 91, so no Northstar.

I was only going to buy this car to resell it. I offered the guy 3500 as it sits. He declined and said he was firm at 5000.

I guess I will have to pass if I have to buy it for 5k put another 1k into it and maybe sell it for 7k.

Only reason I really liked it was the low milage.
    oh ok i see the title.

hmmm 5k huh? looks as if he will be standing firm til hell freezes over!

they would be a good collectors item so try www.kbb.com and put all the info in on the car and see how much the kbb price is. it wont be no 5k.

Kelly BB brings it at $7840.00 private party sale and $6000.00 trade in.

damn! i didnt figure they would be that high. in that case maybe 5k is a good asking price. well, good luck hope everything turns out for ya.

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante

It does not sound like to bad of a deal to me if the brakes are OK. You might want to have the car checked out by someone more knowledgeable about Allantes. Dick Hussey (AllanteSource) live a few hours away and might look at it with you some some compensation, or have a Cadillac Dealer check it out. It sounds like it could be a gem in the rough. It may clean up fine, and some new feet and you may be on the road top down.

The parts on the car are worth the asking price alone.

Good luck either way.

Don

Thanks, I am still him-hawing about buying it.

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sitting is not good for Allante's. Sitting near the beach with the top down for two years is even worse. If you were buying it to fix up and keep, that's one thing. If you ran into some unforseen problems and had to spend some extra money, it's not the end of the world. At least you'd have the benefit of what you had spent. l If you are doing it solely to try to make a profit, you could end up "upside down", a term that decribes owning something on which you owe (what you have invested) more than it's worth. AC compressors don't like to sit. ABS master cylinder and ABS pump don't fare well either. Also, if someone treats a car that way, how did they maintain it when they were driving it? Why did the owner stop driving it? The car would be much better off now with 20k more miles and regular use than sitting under those conditions.

The car sat because it is parked in the owners vacation home.. (about a 2mil house on the beach) and they had bought a newer Deville that sits in the adjacent garage.

Anyway, I have been allowed to try and get the car started. I will let ya know what happens.

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

With the car sitting that long, best thing to do is to put another fully charged battery into it. When completely dead that long, batteries usually won't come back. Trying to jump it with the old battery in there is not a good idea.

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

my first thought when I saw the title was "dude clean your garage more often"

from what you describe I would be interested, but at that price I would want to hear it run and the deal would be dependent on that if that were not allowed then I would walk.

Shoehorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just struck me as odd that a guy with a 2 mil vacation home would even bother trying to sell a 5000 car. Even more, that the same guy would care about the 30% difference in your offer and his asking price. Expect the water pump to die within 1000 miles btw. Actually any wet sleeve engine sitting is very bad. Old stagnant coolant and aluminum don't play well together.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

so did you start it up? what happened?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.