What is the best year Allante to purchase and why?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, What is the best year Allante to purchase and why? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have been kicking around the idea of buying an Allante for some time now. Recently i just purchased a ...
    viccampjr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS

What is the best year Allante to purchase and why?

I have been kicking around the idea of buying an Allante for some time now. Recently i just purchased a 2007 STS all wheel drive and got bit by the Cadillac bug bad.

Is the last year Allante in 1993 the best one cadillac made? if so, what engine is the best one to have under the hood? Is the 4.6 281cu in V8 DOHC any good?

There's a 1993 for sale by me and i am giving it some thought.It has 141,000 but has been well cared for and has the 4.6 281cu in V8 DOHC.Is the mileage to high?

I had a 4.9 in my 1992 seville with 105,000 mie on it and really didn't have any problems except for a leaky valve cover.

How are the 4.5 engines in the Allante's?

I know the 4.1 engines i need to stay away from for sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: What is the best year Allante to purchase and why?

None of the early (pre 93) engines suffer from the intake, camshaft, intake manifold leaks common the rest of the Cadillac line. I've owned both an 88 and a 91 and never had any engine problems. The 88 had 50,000 and the 91 had 140,000. Best year? My choice would be a 92. Lowest production year, bullet proof 4.5. Better suspension than prior years. Early Northstars suffered from oil pan oil leaks and intake manifold cracking issues. 92's and prior years had the best seats, best audio and were quieter with the top down because of the vent windows. 93's seem to command a premium because of the Northstar but IMO were not fully developed until around 95. A 92 would get you a lower mileage car at a better price. Condition and documented history are still the guiding items on any used car. Get the nicest one you can afford. Like Corvettes, most were driven hard by non enthusiasts while a few were owned and maintained by car nuts. Try to find that pampered car!

mikel912 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 93 montana blue Allante

I have owned all years. I currently have a 93 Montana Blue, 192,000 miles I drive it every day. Any well cared for phase II or phase III car is a good one. I do not care about mileage, I am much more concerned if the car was maintained. The Northstar is a little more to maintain, I love the 4.5 motor. My only real drawback on the phase II is the brake issue. If you buy the right one you will love driving it.

DONAHUETROY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): allante

I recommend the first models before 1990's as after this has that air-bag which killed the nice designed steeling wheel.
    Of course safty will be top priority to choose, but just like Vette C4 had fantastic color trademark ctr located steeling wheel and
    the air-bag new model has just black plain trademark on one,same thing is said about Allante.
    Also highback seat disappered from 1990's model along with triangle window disappeared.
    New model also has black seats which couldn't show the Italian flavor touch of real leather seats,either while old models have red/light brown
    fantastic seats on. All in all just like my 1989 w/hichback pillow seats and nice s/wheel, please choose old one.Thanks. Lt.Ogata Japan

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

We all have our preferences, of course; my vote is for a '92 (which I've owned since 1994). Recaro seats, Bose stereo system, lighting system that monitors all the bulbs on the car, and substitutes a near-by bulb, if necessary (low
    beam goes out; the fog light on that side lights; turn signal light goes out, the parking lamp substitutes, etc.); door latch system much better than the '93 to help eliminate body flex, faux window 'vents', which do make a big difference in top down quietness. 200 hp from the 4.5 engine; 295 from the Northstar engine; on a car of this weight (approximatley 3500 pounds), there is not that much performance difference until you get beyond 70 mph on the
    road. On the down side: the Bosch anti-lock system requires a strict maintenance schedule (though it also stops the car considerably faster than the '93). My '92 has 105,000 miles currently; has been a great car.

Allante49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Allante

Could you please elaborate on the maintainance scheduale for the Bosch brake system; I have a 1989.

Thank you.

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

Agree on the '92 brakes. Best braking system I have ever used. As for the "strict maintenance" mentioned: System must be flushed/cleaned every 2 yrs.

Things I do not like about the '92:
    Recaro seats get hard/uncomfortable on long trips
    Seat back release handles rather flimsy, prone to breakage
    Sunvisor mirrors a joke in terms of durability
    Fuel door release mechanism reliability (never know if it is going to work?)
    Should have dual exhaust

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Brake fluid should be changed every couple of years on ANY vehicle, but most people ignore it.

To each, his own, of course: I beg to differ on your opinion of the Recaro seats; they are still the most comfortable seats in any car I've ever owned. I'm 5'7", 150 lbs. I've taken many long trips in my '92 Allanté; have never felt that the seats were uncomfortable. As to the fuel door release: my car is 21 years old; never have had a problem with it. Also, the seat back release handles; both still original; both still working just fine. Finally, I just replaced the sunvisor mirror assembly last year; I don't think they are a 'joke' after all that time. Things (and us) do wear out over time.....

For what it's worth: my Allanté has just rolled 105,000 miles, so it is obviously not a garage queen. I drive it year round.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I agree, the seats were great. I'm 5'10' 170 lb. The fuel door release hinge or latch is rarely cleaned and/ or lubed.

RedAllante92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Allante

When I bought my 92, there was a 93 sitting next to it... but I chose the 92 on purpose because I personally wanted the 4.5. I had a very pleasant experience with a 4.5 in a 1990 CDV and a complete nightmare with a Northstar powered 2003 Seville (bought new). Also, 92 had the Recaro seats, Bose sound system, Bosch brakes, window vents and also the Cadillac shield logo in the 3rd brake light. For me, the 92 was the best year and fo far, mine has been a GREAT car! Granted it only has a touch over 70,000 miles, but it is still a 21 year old car that still feels as solid as a bank vault. The 4.5 may not have the power of the NS, but the car can throw me back in the seat with plenty of thrust with just moderate throttle thanks to good low end torque of an OHV engine. Unlike the 03 Seville, the Allante has not left me on the side of the road.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Found this awhile back.
    http://www.allante.4t.com/history.html
    Thought it interesting

I agree completely with your comments and observations. As I posted earlier, my '92 has 105,000 miles on it, and still feels pretty much like new. In addition to the advantages of the '92 vs. 93, I would also add the multiplex
    wiring
    system, that informs the driver of any bulb that has failed, and substitutes a near-by bulb if necessary (low beam goes out, the fog light replaces it; a turn signal bulb goes out, the park lamp replaces it, etc.). In addition, the door
    latch system is far superior to the '93; the '92 has a much more rigid body going down the road.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.