'87 Allante Stalls
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, '87 Allante Stalls in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 1987 Allante (137,800 miles) ran really well until recently. After driving about 5 miles in traffic it stalled at ...
    fjl248 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Allantes 1987 & 1992

'87 Allante Stalls

My 1987 Allante (137,800 miles) ran really well until recently. After driving about 5 miles in traffic it stalled at a stoplight. It restarted but stalled again, and again and again, etc. I drove into a parking lot. After several minutes it began to run well enough to try to make it back home. On the way it again stalled. I had it towed to my usual garage. They pressure tested the fuel pump and replaced the fuel filter. It also needed a starter; but it continued to stall so they replaced the distributor.
    After repeated test drives it continued to stall (intermittently) so the shop returned the car and said they were at a loss as to what to do. I drove the car 15 miles on the expressway and another 9-10 on surface streets. It ran great but again began to stall and would not 'turn over' and keep running. After 10 minutes, it started and I drove it the 20+ milesback home without incident.
    Took it to a 2nd garage that specializes in Cadillacs but it wouldn't stall after 2 days of trying. So I picked it up and drove 12 miles back home on surface streets. It ran flawlessly until I got home and let it idle in the driveway for about 5 minutes. The rpms went from 800 to 1000, back to 700 back to 1000 and eventually stalled. A while later it started and
    idled unflinchingly for 7-8 minutes. I then drove it a few miles, returned, allowed it to idle until it stalled.
    I drive the car about 7000 miles per year. One year ago I had the 2nd garage replace the cam sensor and the isc motor. It ran well until this recent bout of stalling. No, actually it has stalled previously when I have slowed to turn a corner or when approaching a red light. But I could always put it in neutral, crank the engine and continue driving without
    stalling.
    I can't tell if when it begins to stall the isc motor starts searching for the right rpm or, if the isc motor is out of whack and causing it to stall. Runs great, then begins to stall. I always use premium gas and keep the car serviced. Both garages are honest and very experienced. Any advice will be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: '87 Allante Stalls

There are no relevant codes in the diagnostics screen. E040 (power steering) and what appears to be L 307. I allowed it to idle for 15 minutes with climate control off; then without turning off the engine, pressed Auto and adjusted the temp to 70 degrees then allowed it to continue idling for another 14-15 minutes, as per someone on the forums suggestion to allow the car to 'relearn the idle'. Drove it briefly without incident,

Later the same day I drove the car 45 mph for 4 miles , then 30 -35 mph for another 3-4 miles. It stalled in stop and go traffic
    and would not restart until it had cooled down for about 10-15 minutes on a 92 degree day. Then I drove it 5 miles before it stalled again. I waited about 15 minutes before restarting and making it home.
    It showed a code E 032 Open MAP sensor circuit AIR. Let the diagnosis-ing begin. Please.
    The fuel filter and distributor were replaced a week ago and the fuel pump was pressure tested.

Me again. started car the next morning. Idled well. DIC diagnostics showed E 032 history, E 030 current (ISC circuit Problem). I found a hose cracked and disconnected from the bottom left of the air cleaner cowl that goes to the front valve cover. It was hanging loose due to being cracked/split on the end. I duct taped the end to hold it tight ...... MAP sensor , TPS pigtail, computer, tune, cap rotor, fuel filter, distributor were replaced 10,000 miles ago. Hall effect was replaced about 5000 miles ago. Had a new A-1 Cardone distributor installed last week. Help! TIA

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

I suggest that you invest in the cost of a long, long-distance phone call to Dick Hussey (Google him) in FL. He is the Allante guru, and willing to help.

Good luck!

Thanks. He has helped me in the past. I drove the car 4 miles today then it began to stall when the temperature'gauge' reached the 9th increment. Normally it sits right at the 8th increment. I was able to keep it going, roughly, and pulled into a parking lot. After shopping for about a half of an hour, I drove home. It did well at 8 increments on the temperature gauge, but when it reached 9 it began to stall and eventually did. I was able to start it as I coasted down my own street and made it into the driveway.
    I let it idle in the driveway until it stalled. I cleared the ECM codes then rechecked; the Diagnostics said E032 current.
    (open MAP sensor circuit AIR)

Replaced the MAP sensor. Now runs great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.