Tonneau Cover Struts - replace
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Tonneau Cover Struts - replace in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Boy, talk about a love/hate relationship...my Allante is pure pleasure to drive, but has so many problems it is driving ...
    mooremco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Tonneau Cover Struts - replace

Boy, talk about a love/hate relationship...my Allante is pure pleasure to drive, but has so many problems it is driving me crazy...today's is...how do you take out the top fastener on the tonneau cover struts - do I have to remove what appears to be a large partition between
    the trunk and tonneau storage area? I have the shop manual and cannot find any reference to changing the struts...thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Tonneau Cover Struts - replace

OK, thanks to a fellow enthusiast named Bob, I now know the tonneau cover has to come off to get to the hinges - the hinges serve as the housing for the darn struts...and, as I understand it, the hinges have to be removed to replace the gas struts...hope this helps someone else - if it does, Bob (who ownes six Allante's) deserves the credit!!!

Re: Tonneau Cover Struts - replace

OK...here is what I "learned" - the replacement starts in the trunk. THe upholstery at the top of the trunk's forward wall has to be loosened by removing six screws - that step loosens that flap of carpeting that is then "folded up" revealing two bolts on each side of the metal frame...they hold the hinge inside of the tonneau cover's cavity, and the hinges are where the gas struts live - you can either loosen the four bolts and then CAREFULLY pull out the whole tonneau cover with the hinges
    attached, or CAREFULLY, holding the tonneau cover upright and OFF OF THE TRUNK, remove the six bolts attaching the tonneau cover to the hinges...overall,
    getting the hinges out is not that tough - our problem was (and is) getting the tonneau cover to line up with the darn latch after replacing the gas
    sturts - the four bolts in the trunk have some adjustability, and, of course the six bolts holding the hinge to the tonneau cover do too...finding the right
    combination proved to be elusive...we are still working on getting the tonneau to latch.

If you tackle this job you need to remember the trunk cannot be opened much if the tonneau cover is being adjusted, is open, OR if the hinges are installed
    without the tonneau cover being attached to them - the hinges are going to have to be protected with at least thick tape - (we used cardboard pieces wedged
    between towels to protect the paint, and so far, have not damaged the paint...but as I said, the darn thing needs a better adjustment before it will latch.

I am most definitely not very mechanical, so if you can describe yourself in a similar way you should probably pass on this task

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.