Flying Rear Cover
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Flying Rear Cover in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, I guess i didn't properly secure the rear cover on my 1993 Allante because when I hit about 50 ...
    echodog is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Flying Rear Cover

Well, I guess i didn't properly secure the rear cover on my 1993 Allante because when I hit about 50 mph it flew off the back of my car! Anyway, now i have a rear cover that has been run over several times by other cars and as best i can tell is beyond repair. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find a replacement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante

Re: Flying Rear Cover

Echodog,

Sorry to hear about your misfourtune. You might contact Dick Hussey who drops in on this board from time to time at AllanteSource.com

or

Tom Rohner
    (619) 807-8770
    trohner@san.rr.com

or

THE CADILLAC ALLANTE' CLUB
    c/o JOHN MONZO itsonlyluv@comcast.net
    8 Eagle Road
    TURNERSVILLE N.J. 08012 www.CadillacAllanteClub.com
    856-582-9243 Home 609-634-6518 Cell

Hopefully one of these guy can help you.

Good Luck,

Don

riskybiz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Echodog, I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago although my cover wasn't run down by other cars. Tom Rohner (619) 807-8770 was able to set me up with a replacement and I recomend him highly. I live close enough to Tom that I was able to drive to his home/shop and Tom performed the R&R in person. He also gave me a number of valuable tips concerning the operation of the top, the fiberglass cover, the mini-wings, etc. It is critical to make sure the latch for the top cover is adjusted properly and Tom showed me how easily it can become out of adjustment. You and I (according to Tom) aren't the only people who have had this happen to them. It's expensive to learn this lesson the hard way. As you have probably found out there are not many of these covers available. I sure hope I'll never need another one.

riskybiz

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

We had a local owner drop in the other day that had his boot fly up, and he was able to save it. This was the first time I had been able to examine first hand the cause of the problem. The U-shaped piece welded to the striker plate had broken off. The plate itself was still attached to the boot. The "U" was still in the latch. For some reason, 1993's seem to be the year most affected, very seldom the 1990.5 through 1992 Allante's that use the same striker and latch.

iandeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I recently purchased a '93 allante and have been looking into problems other have had. After reading this about the rear cover I checked mine to find the front side of the stricker broken. I would not have checked it otherwise, because it closed tightly and didn't rattle. The $10.00 I spent on the new striker is a lot better than searching for a new cover and the extreme cost for replacement. THANK YOU

Ian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.