'91 Transmission & Fuel Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, '91 Transmission & Fuel Issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I recently (July) purchased a very nice '91 California car. Car did real well the first few weeks or so, ...
    drbv59 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Allante

'91 Transmission & Fuel Issues

I recently (July) purchased a very nice '91 California car.
    Car did real well the first few weeks or so, but then started developing a very
    strong fuel smell, much like a rich fuel mixure. Cadillac dealer confirmed no fuel
    leaks anywhere, and seemed to agree it's running rich but had no "quick" ideas
    without tearing into things a bit deeper. The car runs pretty well but does seem to run just a bit rough during acceleration. My other issue is the tranny. All was well until a few weeks ago when I shifted from Park to Reverse, the car failed to go
    Into gear. After a few seconds, it finally caught. The fluid and filter was changed
    recently, and I checked the level to make sure all was well. This has happened
    a few times since with the car eventually going into gear after warming up a few
    minutes. Once on the road, the shifting seems very strong and smooth.
    Any ideas what I may be looking at here. between the fuel and transmission
    issues, I'm real concerned I may have a major repair that I can't really justify
    right now.

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: '91 Transmission & Fuel Issues

With no external leaks, I would suspect a leaking injector. Hard to pin point without the service manual and verifying fuel trim left bank vs. right bank. How many miles?

121,000 mi on the car.
    Supposedly 4 of the injectors were replaced shortly before I purchased the car.

Thru on board diagnostics, you can manually short out one injector at a time to verify all are performing the same with the same RPM drop as shorted. That, though will not locate a leaking one. There was a recall on gas caps for leaking fumes, but I doubt thats your issue. Have a dealer run the VIN for outstanding recalls. One method of checking a leaking injector is to watch fuel pressure after the engine's been shut off. It should hold "rest" pressure for a span of time. If it drops quickly then a leaky injector is suspect. It requires you tap into the fuel line with a fuel pressure gauge!

Thanks for the info!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Has the FPR been checked?

I can't say for sure if this was checked during my last visit to the dealer- probably not.
    I have plans to have this issue checked by another mechanic next week. My main concern at this point is the transmission. Does anyone know if this tranny is Allante specific- meaning hard to replace/repair?

Yes, trans is Allante specific and solenoids are hard to find. You might try www.allantesource.com. I've seen the rubber O ring on the trans filter inlet tube be either missing or the old one not removed, which would cause oil drain back and delayed engagement. That web site also has a very simple ABS diagnostic check out that is very informative to a new Allante owner!

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.