Back Top Release Won't Work
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Back Top Release Won't Work in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My back top release will not release when I pull the lever. I've tried putting the divider down to see ...
    chuckw13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante

Back Top Release Won't Work

My back top release will not release when I pull the lever. I've tried putting the divider down to see if I can get to it from below but either I'm missing something or it's not there. The cover release is accessable but of course that's no good if the top won't release. I relying on my son's word for that....I have some health problems so I'm just directing him what to do. I have the big tissue paper thin service manual but it doesn't afford much help. The car is a 1993 if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help to be found out there.

Chuck

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Back Top Release Won't Work

Which top? hard or soft. Should be a manual cable release in the trunk just under the carpeted upper shelf. Are the windshield header motors released? That would take some pressure off the rear release. Put the year of your car in your signature, yes it makes a difference!

Soft top, I've been afraid to release the front because I have a ways to drive to get it to a repair shop if it's too tight to latch back. We (my son) could only find the lever for the cover. I'll have him look again.

Thanks,

Chuck 1993 Allante

Your signature under your log in name! Its a piano cable release, not another lever. Pressing down with force on the soft top above the release might also allow the lever to release it.

I crawled in the trunk and could only find the cover release. Only cables I could find were the back panel release and the cover release. Anything close to the top release is covered by black plastic which is screwed in from above.

I have no clue what you mean about the signature after the log in name, but I appreciate your help.

Chuck

I crawled in the trunk and could only find the cover release. Only cables I could find were the back panel release and the cover release. Anything close to the top release is covered by black plastic which is screwed in from above.

I have no clue what you mean about the signature after the log in name, but I appreciate your help.

Chuck

In your profile it asks for a signature, see mine above. You can list the yr and type of car you own. No big thing but it helps us in determining a repair. Does the release lever feel like it has normal tension on it or very loose? Did you press down on the top fabric and pull the lever?

I looked under my profile and mine does not show anyplace to modify the signature. I've noticed this web site looks differnt on three computers even though they all are Windows and have IE9. Strangely, my work computer let's me go to the login screen and processes the name and password but comes back to show me as not logged in.

On the car side I'm going to try and take pictures Saturday.

I've had over a 100 degree fever for seven weeks and most of the last year. It's slowed down my ability to work on cars.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Log onto The main forums site. Locate " FORUM ACTIONS" under the Cadillac pictures bar. Click onto forum actions and choose "edit profile" then scroll down to the very bottom where it asks for cars. List your 93 Allante there. I'm amazed no one else has chimed in? Might try calling Mr Hussey at www.allantesource.com He's in Florida and very helpful.

Think I fixed the tagline. These are pics if they help.CIMG1341.JPG

Well, that didn't work. I tried to upload ten pictures and only one did.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.