1987 Allante radiator fan control module
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By MoistCabbage
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 1987 Allante radiator fan control module in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; . I have a 1987 Cadillac Allante both fans stopped working. I have acquired a new module 1641400 will this ...
    jim55 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 cadillac allante

1987 Allante radiator fan control module

. I have a 1987 Cadillac Allante both fans stopped working. I have acquired a new module 1641400 will this fix the problem. Or do I have to replace other parts. I have checked the fans. They are working fine, with a jumper wire your help on this issue is most appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Fuses, relays, temp sensor? What is module 1641400?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: . 1987 Cadillac Allante radiator fan control module

In my experience the fan control module behind the passenger headlight affects fan speeds, not causing fans to completely quit. On my 88 the fans would never go to max RPM and the DIC would show an A/C pressure related code. You have paid for a module so try it. Do you have a factory service manual?

the temperature control module , the big one. Under the pressure side headlight, neither fan would operate with the old modular, replaced it with a new one and air-conditioner fan. When in auto comes on, to help cool the radiator. I was told there may be a relay for the main fan somewhere

I purchased a shop manual, but it doesn't cover any troubleshooting

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim55
    I purchased a shop manual, but it doesn't cover any troubleshooting
    A Haynes or Chiltons repair manual, or an actual Helm factory service manual? BIG difference.
    jim55 and jim55 like this.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The factory manual does diagnose it. You can operate the fans thru the DIC. You can cause them to change RPM. I'm confused? re read post #4 This module (modular) is not a temperature controlling item. It simply starts the fans and changes the fans (both) RPM depending on what the computer reads. I guess you could call it a temp control module but its a fan control module. Hard to believe it needed both a fan and a new module at the same time. Been awhile since I had my 88 and 91, but the 88 used this module but my 91 used a relay. Without the aid of the factory manual, you are just changing parts hoping to fix it. You said earlier that both fans worked when 12 volts were jumpered to them, then you say you replaced the A/C fan?

no I didn't replace the AC fan. I replaced the AC module, because the AC fan inside the car would not come on, and the fan outside the car would not come on. I jump the fans with 12 volts and they work just fine. I replaced the big module behind the passenger side headlight, but the main cooling fan outside the car will not come on. I have checked all the grounds that I can find it still gives me an error message, which reads cooling fan failure. I don't want to just throw parts at it hoping to fix it

. How do you operate, the fans through the DIC

limo1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Fleetwood 75

Re: 1987 Allante radiator fan control module

I had similar problem with a fan control module for radiator fans. on my 1985 fleetwood should be same on your model. Module sits behind headlight and basically takes the BCM fan signal and amplifies it to control the speed of the radiator fans. This module also has a feedback signal back to the BCM so it knows if fans are rotating and speed. I was able to fix the module as the parts that go in them are the power FET transistors mounted to the heatsink. I replaced with
    Intersel 76137P N channel Power FETS x 4 transistors needed. It looks to me like the originals just do not quite have the current capacity for the two fans. If the fans get a bit sticky they cause more current to draw through the control module and pop the transistors.
    Here is datasheet. http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pd...UF76137P3.html

Just open up module and replace the 4 transistors on the heatsink with above and you have a better speed control module than new. These FET's are rated 75A at 30V x 4 lots of current. Also note the heatsink has fan voltage on it so it should be isolated from touching any chassis ground or it would blow the transistors. A cheap fix couple dollars for the parts a solder iron and good as new. Also check for corrosion inside on the foil as water seems to get in.

I do have an old module. I will try this fix, maybe I'll get lucky and have no more problems. I thank you for this solution

I have found the problem. There was a broken wire, way up underneath the car repaired this and everything seems to work as it should I do want to thank everyone who tried to help me with this situation. It is a pleasure to see people coming together in one place to help an individual. Again. Thank you for your assistance

Camille is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hi,
    I have a simular problem.
    So I ordered those 4 Power FETS you mentioned and received them quickly. Now I notice that the transistors on the print are not all the same. I have: 1 FET , 2 black transistors (1 on either side), 1 very smal transistor. Are these the ones that I have to replace with those Power FETS?
    Thanks for helping.

FLew is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 & 1988 Allante's

I had my radiator replaced, the fan didn't work after that. I later found out that the repairman didn't replace the temp switch in the radiator. he just plugged the hole /w a bolt. I removed the bolt and put a temp switch in and plugged it up. fan has worked every since. Good Luck!!!.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.