New Allante Owner- Opinions as a daily driver
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, New Allante Owner- Opinions as a daily driver in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; New owner of a nice '91 here. After researching the Allante for several months, I decided to jump into the ...
    drbv59 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Allante

New Allante Owner- Opinions as a daily driver

New owner of a nice '91 here.
    After researching the Allante for several months, I decided to jump into the deep end of the pool. Car has a little over 100K and has had an extensive list of service
    done and spent the first 20 years of it's life in California. I'm wondering how many of you out there drive yours year-round in climates less than desirable a few
    months of the year. I originally purchased the car as a non-winter daily driver, but my other car has decided to roll over on me and I really don't want to buy
    another car right now. Just curious about some of your experiences and any advice appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Re: New Allante Owner- Opinions as a daily driver

Drive it but keep in mind how old the car is and that year round service means 20 something year old parts will be used more which makes them more prone to failure.

Ive driven my allante year round for two years. Decided to stop this year because its no longer "necessary"

In those two years i had an alternator go out on me on I-95, discovered the heater core was clogged so i froze on the way to/from work for two weeks, braved a "snowstorm" and made to and from work, had a battery die permanently, had the second alternator die slowly, discovered the compressor is dying a slow death and finally AFTER i decided it wouldnt be a daily driver anymore, the brake pump is out.

This is not to mention the leaks from the top which i have still not managed to fix (putting the hardtop on fixes that though, also the hardtop stayed on all winter).

This sound like endless trouble but it really wasnt non stop. If the brakes werent working i wouldnt hesitate to drive it anywhere, but i think im going to let it relax for a while

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

As an Allante owner ('92) I do not know that I would want to be making it my daily driver, especially in inclement weather.

Seems to me any pre-2005 model year car with over 100K on the odometer is going to require attention if used daily. When Allantes require attention, they requires large sums of money to accomplish whatever needs to be done!

m0ng0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante, 1973 Eldorado Convertible

I drive mine 50 miles r/t every day. I have a 93 with 150k on it and she still drives like a champ. I have done brakes, wheel bearings, a tensioner pulley and alternator and all is well. I live in Washington state so yeah the top leaks a bit and the defrost still only comes on when it feels like it and the tranny chuggle is annoying but really I have found her quite reliable. 17.3 mpg average is not too bad I guess.

drbv59 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Allante

Thanks for the opinions- on both sides.
    Nice to hear owners are still using these fine cars on a daily basis.

bruce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Allante (205K), 91 Allante (135K)

Mine gets driven Monday through Friday to commute to work - albeit living in California the snow and ice are not a problem, but working in the valley the heat does take its toll! I have done road trips in excess of 4000 miles with no fear and enjoyed them immensely - including one last winter with chains driving over Donner Summit! The car now has over 200,000 miles and I hope to count many more as we go along. In the past year there have been several repairs including head gaskets, transmission replaced, and every bushing and bearing under the car has been changed. I love the style and character of this car and feel every repair is a labor of love! If you have to drive a car everyday make it something you will enjoy ...

Have a great time!

max blue is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante

I've had my '93 (69K Miles) for three months. I had a mechanic go thru it and spent about $3,000 on various maintenance items. Now driving to and from work daily with pleasure. Just returned from a 750 roundtrip to San Diego. Re weather: the A/C handles PHX heat just fine. My one complaint is the rattles, which I think are coming from the windows.

mikel912 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 93 montana blue Allante

Ditto 93 188,000 Drive it every day for seven years.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.