Lots of new parts still low power wonky idle 93 northstar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Lots of new parts still low power wonky idle 93 northstar in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, I've searched quite a but, and done some work on this car- but I am having some issues ...
    Knipdlo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante

Lots of new parts still low power wonky idle 93 northstar

Hi all,

I've searched quite a but, and done some work on this car- but I am having some issues with it.

I bought the car in Phoenix and it ran and drove well when I test drove it, on the way back to LA in very high temps it started to miss and backfire and runn terribly with no power. I limped it into civilization and I have since replaced the plugs (with OEM AC Delco) and wires- I used the HVAC PCM method to cut the fuel injectors and discovered cylinder 2 wasn't firing- so replaced the coil pack for cyl 2&5, now she's running better, but still not right. I also fixed a little vacuum line. It idles sorta rough and it has more power, but when I test drove it I punched it and it squeeled the tires from a stop- it won't do that now. It feels like it sometimes smooths out under moderate acceleration and it sounds really nice and feels really smooth but then it will go back to stumbling and idling a little high (but not as high as before the plugs and coil cassette)

Three details that may be of note- current codes include P080, the service engine soon light is on. Also the car smells odd after running- kinda hot and melting plasticy.. But different- its like nothing I've ever smelled before. Finally- it occasionally is a pain to start because it will flash the "theft system" light when you turn the key to start And you have to get out and lock and unlock the doors a few times with the key until it starts.

I appreciate any help you can give me, I'm trying to learn fast but this car is going to be used on a tv show and I need to get it fixed ASAP!

Thanks!
    Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Lots of new parts still low power wonky idle 93 northstar

I'm in the process of doing an idle relearn as we speak- any opinions at all if this doesn't work? I'm really at the end of my rope with this one..

In gear with the parking brake on its running but surging a little- I can't tell if it's surging because it's suddenly firing on 8 cylinders, or surging because it's still idling odd..

When this relearn is done I'll try cutting the injector power through the HVAC to see if it's firing on all 8.

Hopefully I'm doing this re-learn correctly!

Re: Lots of new parts still low power wonky idle 93 northstar

The car now idles perfectly when its in neutral- in gear it still surges and runs odd.. Someone please! Any suggestions at all??

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The idle relearn won't solve the problem (the relearn will occur on its own anyway).

Dirty TB, vacuum leak, faulty ISC motor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.