Defuel 1993 Allante?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By uberauto4
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Defuel 1993 Allante? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anyone know how to defuel all of the gasoline from a 1993 Allante gas tank?...
    Mike from Cle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante North Star

Defuel 1993 Allante?

Does anyone know how to defuel all of the gasoline from a 1993 Allante gas tank?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

KrisK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham; 1993 Pinninfarina Allante

Re: Defuel 1993 Allante?

Have you tried siphoning the gas out?

Something (anti siphoning barrier) is blocking the hose from entering the gasoline tank.

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

Isn't there a drain plug in the tank?

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

there's probably a roll-over valve that prevents fuel leaking out if the car flips over in a crash ... also prevents siphoning ... there might be a trick if you pour gas in while trying to stick you siphon in there ...

other than that you'll have to drop the tank down - i don't think there's a drain plug ... but i've been wrong before
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Is the tank being replaced?

The gas tank is not being replaced. The Allante has been sitting in the outdoors and recently in a garage for the last four years, no road driving. I would start the Allante now and than but the engine is really being to miss and the engine is running at high idle. The gasoline has been sitting in the tank for years, that can't be good. I added Seafoam to help but the engine stills idles high and the timing is missing. The engine tries to slow the idle than beings to miss fire at low idle which is causing the engine to increase the idle. So I thought to start with the simple items removng the old gasoline replacing it with fresh gasoline. Another issue I am expriencing is when the engine is turned off but the ignition is still on, I can hear an electric motor clicking noise coming from the TBI, sounds like electrical motor gear is trying to turn and the gear is slipping. Not sure if it is related to the high idle issue.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Seafoam (and any other snake oil) is a nono. It's basically paint thinner. Ok for cleaning parts, not for running through an engine.

The idle problem sounds (at least partially) like a faulty ISC (Idle Speed Control) motor (that's the electric motor sound you're hearing as well). As for the missing, I'd start by replacing the plugs and wires, they're ancient if original, and sitting so long probably didn't help any.

There is a "sticky" thread at the top of the Seville/Eldorado and FWD Deville/Fleetwood forums, with instructions on how to pull codes using the HVAC or DIC controls. I'm not sure if the Allante had this functionality, but give it a try. If not, do you have access to a scan tool?

Trulytex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Eldo Convertible, 1987 Allante, 2004 Black Escalade

You can disconnect the filler valve from the Rubber Hose that goes into the tank. Then you will be able to insert a syphon hose into the rubber filler hose, bypassing the filler neck that has the anti-syphon piece.

But you should be able to put a piece of 3/8" hose through the filler neck with a little coaxing.

uberauto4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Just did this yesterday to my '90 thats been sitting for 3 years. Here's how:
    At the PS bulkhead harness connector find the grey wire with a light green spade socket.
    This is the injection primer connection: 12 volts applied to this connector will engage the
    gas tank's fuel pump. To drain the tank, disconnect the engine side of the fuel filter (under the car) and attach
    a threaded-to-hose fitting to the fuel filter. Attach a 4' fuel hose to the hose end of this fitting, with the other end
    in a suitable gas container of course. Now apply 12 volts to the primer disconnect and drain away.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.