1987 allante, am I an idiot?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 1987 allante, am I an idiot? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am considering buying a 1987 allante for 5000. It seems to run well, but the electronic system seems to ...
    tomandcoach is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

1987 allante, am I an idiot?

I am considering buying a 1987 allante for 5000. It seems to run well, but the electronic system seems to lag, runs slow, but finally reports out. Is this car something I want to commte in. I am a teacher and would like a convertible but cannot afford major fixes. The body and top are in good shape, I worry about the elcetronics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Re: 1987 allante, am I an idiot?

can you elaborate on the issues youre having with the electronics?

IMO an 87 for 5000 is asking too much unless it is in absolute pristine shape. no dings, no dents, speakers work leathers in good shape etc

thats only my opinion though

MountainMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Allante

For 5 grand I would try to get a phase 2. Won't be pristine, but most of the bugs are worked out. I would worry about the DIC not working correct and I would have the brakes checked.

Rich_M is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville STS (Sold), 04 XLR, 87 Allante

The parts will cost big bucks. And that's if you can find them. If you're handy and can do repairs yourself then go for it. I doubt that you will find a pristine 25 year old
    Allante for $ 5,000.00. I've been offered a lot more than that for mine but I enjoy it too much to sell it. Good luck.

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

Since you state you are a teacher, my wife is a retired teacher and we own an Allante, my recommendation, based on experience is stay away from it!
    Yes, these cars are nice, and they definitely have an alluring quality to them. However, they are terribly expensive to maintain. Nor are they easy to work on. You will end up despising the car because of all the money it takes to maintain.

mikel912 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 93 montana blue Allante

Buying an Allante does not have to be expensive, BUT you do have to buy the right one. For my money I would buy a phase II car. Mileage is LESS important than condition, and history, where it resided, and the care and maintenance of the car, my 93 has 183,000 original miles, RUNS Great! BUT it has been well maintained all of its life. Good luck.

yamahaRwon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts-V

by an 04-05 cts for 6 or 7k lower miles, newer loof, no convertable...lol

yamahaRwon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts-V

*look

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

And '87 Allante? For the occassional tour around the boulevard - absolutely. For a daily driver and commuting - no way!

You can pull codes on an '87 by holding down the OFF and HEAT button on the climate control. The dashboard will flash for a few moments and then show you all the codes on the DIC. If any codes are current, you can look them up online and find out if they're major issues.

Honestly, I'd steer clear. The Phase I tops are known to leak, and having one of these as a daily driver commuter really isn't too practical.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.