Tired of pulling open the console to open trunk/fuel door?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Tired of pulling open the console to open trunk/fuel door? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i recently acquired one of the more recent auto-dim/onstar mirrors. i hated to think the buttons would just sit there, ...
    OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Tired of pulling open the console to open trunk/fuel door?

i recently acquired one of the more recent auto-dim/onstar mirrors. i hated to think the buttons would just sit there, unused, taking up space. i know the buttons send multiplexed signals instead of just being regular buttons. I decided on a use and a workaround

I took the mirror apart and learned how the buttons operate, then i took a phone jack and spliced it in sloppily, modified the bottoms of the buttons and used a multimeter to test continuity.

the cable i used is a 25 foot phone cable, which i will run from the mirror area down to where the trunk release and fuel door release buttons are... If all goes well, i will be able to open trunk and fuel door right from the mirror without having to fumble with the center console.

the outer buttons may eventually get seat heater function duty
    turns out the phone jack and cable ended up unused, i ended up using speaker wire, the thing gauge kind. i STILL havent wired in the temp or compass or auto dim

to do this mod youll need to remove the ash tray assembly, center console trany, and possibly shifter knob and shifter plate.

this will allow easy access to the bottom of the fuel dorr and trunk release switches. i DID NOT cut these switches, instead i bought some male and female spade connectors and wired them inline with the switches.

here are pics of the mirror section

and a pic of me goin buckwild on the button hooked to the multimeter

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Tired of pulling open the console to open trunk/fuel door?

That's a neat project. I am eventually going to get the rear view mirror that is also a MP3 player for my car. Right now my music is via mp3 player and some hidden computer speakers(LOL).

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Re: Tired of pulling open the console to open trunk/fuel door?

theres a way to add an aux in to the cassette deck if your stereo works

my amps all blew so i ended up completely bypassing

got an infinity 4 channel amp, powering 2 pairs of infinity kappa perfect 6.1 components. sounds sweeeeet

when i get time im going to put in 3 8's powered by an 800w amp, the way i wired them they'll be getting 200w each RMS

the box is built and the speakers are wired etc i just havent found the time to put them in. the box was made to fit the cavity behind the seats perfectly

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.