holy crap Allantes hold their value!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, holy crap Allantes hold their value! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i was jusr looking through the local classified newspaper website and thought i would just look for some alantes... heres ...
    AKPsiMC03 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

holy crap Alantes hold their value!

i was jusr looking through the local classified newspaper website and thought i would just look for some alantes... heres what i found.

1992 CADILLAC ALLANTE CONVERTIBLE
    $11,495, OFF WHITE, 67,157 mi, 8 cyl,ABS,air,am/fm cass,auto,CD,cruise,leath int,pb,pdl,p seats,ps,pw,tilt, Removable Roof, Driver Front Air Bag, THE CLASSIC CADILLAC, COULD BE YOURS, CALL TODAY, VIN:1G6VS3380NU125201, Stock No:J25201, This price includes America's best 1 year warr. Creative Finan.& Leasing avail. On line vehicle locator serv. Free deliv in tri-state area. Not all cars in Darien. Please call, e-mail or inst. mess. us first to seriously inquire 203-656-1443

1989 CADILLAC ALLANTE
    $12,500, White, 116,356 mi, 2 dr,8 cyl,ABS,air,am/fm cass,auto,cruise,leath int,pb,pdl,p seats,ps,pw,tilt, In Great Shape!!, Drives Great!!, A Must See!!, Convertible!!, VIN:1G6VR3183KU102103, Stock No:G1810, Long Meadow Motor Cars, 5 Enfield St., Enfield, CT, (860)253-9587

1993 CADILLAC ALLANTE CONVERTIBLE
    red, 44K mi, 2 dr, 8 cyl, alarm, auto, fully loaded, black convertible top with red removable hardtop, black leather interior, one owner, mint condition, $26,000. (203) 744-7412 (4X) ltdolly@msn.com. Danbury

these cars are still VERY expensive compated to most luxury cars from their time... do people still actually pay this much for them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

Maybe so, they ARE fairly rare, especially if they are in decent shape and NOT one of the UGLY-ASS colors.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
    How does 92 qualify as classic?

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    How does 92 qualify as classic?
    They didn't build too many of these cars ( comparativly speaking ) and some of them got torn up and died an early death. A nice Allante will hold it's value and is considered by many to be a "Classic" ( Particularly the later ones with the Northstar engine ) These are great cars but they have their idiosyncracies.

Brian Bray is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by AKPsiMC03
    i was jusr looking through the local classified newspaper website and thought i would just look for some alantes... heres what i found.

1992 CADILLAC ALLANTE CONVERTIBLE
    $11,495, OFF WHITE, 67,157 mi, 8 cyl,ABS,air,am/fm cass,auto,CD,cruise,leath int,pb,pdl,p seats,ps,pw,tilt, Removable Roof, Driver Front Air Bag, THE CLASSIC CADILLAC, COULD BE YOURS, CALL TODAY, VIN:1G6VS3380NU125201, Stock No:J25201, This price includes America's best 1 year warr. Creative Finan.& Leasing avail. On line vehicle locator serv. Free deliv in tri-state area. Not all cars in Darien. Please call, e-mail or inst. mess. us first to seriously inquire 203-656-1443

1989 CADILLAC ALLANTE
    $12,500, White, 116,356 mi, 2 dr,8 cyl,ABS,air,am/fm cass,auto,cruise,leath int,pb,pdl,p seats,ps,pw,tilt, In Great Shape!!, Drives Great!!, A Must See!!, Convertible!!, VIN:1G6VR3183KU102103, Stock No:G1810, Long Meadow Motor Cars, 5 Enfield St., Enfield, CT, (860)253-9587

1993 CADILLAC ALLANTE CONVERTIBLE
    red, 44K mi, 2 dr, 8 cyl, alarm, auto, fully loaded, black convertible top with red removable hardtop, black leather interior, one owner, mint condition, $26,000. (203) 744-7412 (4X) ltdolly@msn.com. Danbury

these cars are still VERY expensive compated to most luxury cars from their time... do people still actually pay this much for them?

Dan,
    I think the prices that you cited in the ads are substantially higher than the market. By the descriptions, these cars are nothing exceptional; they are just "used cars". Ebay may be somewhat more representative of the prices that Allantes are actually changing hands for (cash.. no trades, etc.). There are always 200-300 Allantes for sale at any time thru all venues so it is hardly a seller's market.
    Brian Bray

Liseckas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bray
    Dan,
    I think the prices that you cited in the ads are substantially higher than the market. By the descriptions, these cars are nothing exceptional; they are just "used cars". Ebay may be somewhat more representative of the prices that Allantes are actually changing hands for (cash.. no trades, etc.). There are always 200-300 Allantes for sale at any time thru all venues so it is hardly a seller's market.
    Brian Bray
    Yeah, I hope no one thinks this is some sort of collectors item. The last time this sort of thing happened was with the '76 convert Eldos. People somehow got into their heads that those Eldos were collectors items because Cadillac prematurely announced that they were no longer going to build ragtops anymore. The prices skyrocketed for them but then not too long after the bottom fell out. I doubt that any modern Cadillac will ever become a true collector's item.

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    I think as time goes on that the Allante will continue to be a collector car. Many of the owners are almost cult like in their love for the Allante. If you don't think so, just spend some time on the Allantenet.us site any brouse the archives. I love my 1993 Triple Black Allante without the digital dash. I bought it because I loved the lines and the power of the Cadillac V-8. I prefer the Analog dash, but most Allantes had the digital dash.

I wish that the asking price for the ad were represenative of the market, but that is not the case. If I thought for a minute that I could get $26,000 for mine, write me a check. I don't want to sell mine at all, but for that kind of cabbage I could get two more "93's" and call the buyer back to see if his brother in law wanted one and put the other in my garage. I think the Cadillac Convertable is back with the XLR, and when they start to drop in price like the Allante did, I will think of getting one. Until then I will patiently wait and admire them and the CTSv from the seat of my soon to be Classic Allante.

As for the 1976 Eldorado's, I would love one and I think that they might be collectors. They are fine looking cars, but most are in the boneyard and very few left on the road in really good condition. I would love to have a white one with red leather interior, but I have too many toys as it is.

Brian Bray is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Liseckas
    Yeah, I hope no one thinks this is some sort of collectors item. The last time this sort of thing happened was with the '76 convert Eldos. People somehow got into their heads that those Eldos were collectors items because Cadillac prematurely announced that they were no longer going to build ragtops anymore. The prices skyrocketed for them but then not too long after the bottom fell out. I doubt that any modern Cadillac will ever become a true collector's item.

On the other hand, most luxury 2 seat convertibles DO become collectibles eventually and increase in value. And as an Allante owner, I certainly hope that happens and statistics are on my side. Unfortunately, that is not right now, so I am forced to just enjoy my car.
    Woe is me..somebody' got to do it!

Brian Bray

rickko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 STS, '06 DTS Performance, '04 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by Allante North *
    As for the 1976 Eldorado's, I would love one and I think that they might be collectors. They are fine looking cars, but most are in the boneyard and very few left on the road in really good condition. I would love to have a white one with red leather interior, but I have too many toys as it is.
    My brother and I sold our dad's '76 Eldo Barritz Convert for $3k about 6 mos ago. It had sat in his garage since 1996 but unbelievibly, it started up when we put a new battery and some gas in it. It was white w/white top and white leather interior. Overall it was in very good condition as it had less than 55,000 original miles on it. For the last 10 years he used it he'd enter it every year in the local Cadillac club car show and win a prize.

It did have some damage in one front corner from a minor accident he had on the last day we let him drive it, but all parts replaceable.

The guy who bought it says he's put a few grand into it to bring it back to better than good condition and reliable operation. I hate to think what kinda mileage it gets.

If I remember correctly that car had a 472ci. engine; biggest Cad V-8 ever made, right?

..rickko..

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe

Quote Originally Posted by rickko
    If I remember correctly that car had a 472ci. engine; biggest Cad V-8 ever made, right?

..rickko..
    Actually the biggest one is the 500V8 which was in that '76. They are the same dimensions on the outside.

Well I must have struck a bit of a nerve with the Allante owners. The fact though is if you check resale values on the Allante's, such as KBB.com, Nadaguides.com, Edmiunds.com, etc., they are still valued at a fraction of their original MSRP. Compare it to the car it was supposedly targeting, the Mercedes Benz SL roadster, (the MSRP was about the same as the Allante) the MB's resale values are holding up much better that the Allante's. Also MB still produces an SL roadster to this day. Cadillac discontinued the Allante due to disappointing sales. It had many quality issues that didn't help either. Basically it was the consumer that killed the Allante. If Cadillac would have built it to the same standards that MB did their SL, the Allante would truly be a collectors item.
    A true collectors item is a car that is in high demand and is worth more than what it originally sold for.

rickko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 STS, '06 DTS Performance, '04 Vette

Well I must have struck a bit of a nerve with the Allante owners. The fact though is if you check resale values on the Allante's, such as KBB.com, Nadaguides.com, Edmiunds.com, etc., they are still valued at a fraction of their original MSRP. ...
    You probably did with some.

I own one but don't think its a collector's item or a "classic"; its just one hell'va car. I think most of the ones running today have had all the bugs worked out of them so for they price they are a real buy IMO. Plus you've got to admit, they are are kinda unique now that they've been out of production for so long. In fact, there aren't too many other examples you can give where you can buy a once priced $60k+ used auto today for a song, and still be able to enjoy the luxury, design and power that someone else originally paid heavily to enjoy as well.

Like any vehicle that gets old, if you keep it running and looking meticulously beautiful, it'll bring you and the next owner great pleasure and its depreciation won't be much.

I didn't buy mine new, infact only got it earlier this year so i suspect when the time comes to move it on to someone else it won't be priced much less than when I bought it. It certainly won't depreciate as much as a new car would had I bought a new car for the same price I paid for the Allante.

In fact that's one of the reasons I RARELY ever buy new cars. I also hate taking the depreciation loss and don't like spending half of my ownership time debugging its flaws through constant trips to the dealership for warranty repairs. Let the first buyer who has the biggest investment deal with all that. By the time he has, he'll be tired of it, then I'll snag it.

..rickko..

It's always great to see someone got a good deal on a car they like. I've recently become very disillusioned about the newer Cadillac's and GM's in general (anything less than 25 years old). Maybe I've been focusing too much on the negative things I've been reading in the various forums and possibly, I haven't paid too much attention to the positive (or have not found enough). It could be that there are always far more people who will complain about various things than those who will praise what they own based on the premise, "that's the way it should be". So it may end up seeming that there far more unhappy owners than happy owners, because it's just the majority is just keeping quiet. Maybe.
    The thing is that I have seen first hand all the many problems people have had with GM cars and with the "people" (con artists IMO) who sell and service them, myself and many others I personally know included. I have had far more disappointing experiences with the GM con artists than I have had satisfying ones.
    Yes, I agree with buying a car used, the bugs are worked out and they have depreciated about as much as they can.
    My last new GM was a '99 and I will not buy another new GM or any other American car until I see some positive changes first hand.
    0.0% currently equals my consumer confidence in GM.

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Well I must have struck a bit of a nerve with the Allante owners. The fact though is if you check resale values on the Allante's, such as KBB.com, Nadaguides.com, Edmiunds.com, etc., they are still valued at a fraction of their original MSRP. Compare it to the car it was supposedly targeting, the Mercedes Benz SL roadster, (the MSRP was about the same as the Allante) the MB's resale values are holding up much better that the Allante's. Also MB still produces an SL roadster to this day. Cadillac discontinued the Allante due to disappointing sales. It had many quality issues that didn't help either. Basically it was the consumer that killed the Allante. If Cadillac would have built it to the same standards that MB did their SL, the Allante would truly be a collectors item.
    A true collectors item is a car that is in high demand and is worth more than what it originally sold for.
    Could you post those figures? A 1990 Allante is worth roughly half of a 1990 SL. The 1990 Allante was around $52k without the hardtop, $58k with. What was a 1990 SL going for? (The V8 version, not the V6). I suspect that the Allante won't match the MB for % of MSRP retained, but it will have a pretty respectable showing.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    A '93 Allante with 30,000 on the clock and the original hardtop just went for $24,000 on eBay. Not too shabby.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.