92 vs 93
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 92 vs 93 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, I am looking into adding an Allante to my stable and am trying to figure out if I ...
    KrisK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham; 1993 Pinninfarina Allante

92 vs 93

Hi guys,

I am looking into adding an Allante to my stable and am trying to figure out if I should get a 92 or a 93. Do you guys have any opinion on pros and cons for these years? Suggestions are also welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

picah65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: 92 vs 93

Biggest difference is the Northstar engine in the 93's. Lots of opinion here - some love em, some hate em.
    Seats no longer recaro's. More body flex. Brakes less sensitive to maintenance issues. If you go for a 93, look for a V4J car, signals a midyear change that brought with it a different transmission common to other cars and therefore less expensive to repair if necessary.

Search this forum and others - there's a lot of info
    I went with the 93 - last year, Northstar (makes it a real muscle car with almost 100 more HP), other slight changes. Will cost more than a comparative 93.
    Good luck

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

When I was shopping for my Allante, I targeted 91 & 92 model years due to reliability of the engine and the other reasons cited above. Most of the power advantages of the N* are at a speed that I never drove the car. The 93s are the easiest to find because more 93s were sold than any other year. (I believe 92 had the smallest build number.) As picah65 noted, 93s command a price premium. But, I think I think that premium is misplaced.

I've found several nice 91, 92, and 93s for sale. I am really torn, what are the confirmed problems with the Northstar engine? I don't know much about either the Northstar or the 4.5 other than one is a DOHC and the other is an OHV.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

look up headgaskets on this forum. oddly enough, i dont hear about as many allantes with headgasket problems as i do other cadillacs, probably because allante owners know their cars are rare to start with and possibly take better care of them?

Headgasket, head bolts, and intake problems come to mind.

I like the looks of the digital dash over the analog dash. Are there any issues with the digital dashes that I should worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisK View Post
    I like the looks of the digital dash over the analog dash. Are there any issues with the digital dashes that I should worry about?
    Do a search here as I believe the digital dashes are a source of trouble. I believe the Allante vendors can provide rebuilt dashes for a price.

I've searched dashes and the Northstar problem words given above and I haven't found much of anything.

picah65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I believe that there is more in the way of stories of problems with the digital dashes than actual problems. Also, the fix in most cases is not that expensive if we look at the cost of repairs in general. I had the digital dash in a 1991 Buick Reatta go out and had it fixed for about $150 if I remember correctly. The digital is so much cooler and fits the technological platform of this car so much better than the analog.

As far as the Northstar, go for a latter VIN number, maintain the car properly, and have fun. Do not let it overheat.

93 - the last, the best !!

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

You should be aware, based on personal experience, I am able to report that the Recaro seats in the '92 look far better than the offerings of '93. At the same time they become uncomfortably hard after an hour + of driving.

The N* engine did exhibit problems when first introduced. They have been long worked out by now, even in the actual/original engines found in the 93.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

they were first introduced in the 93 allantes...
    i have seen as late as 2001 northstars with the same headgasket problems

larry3828 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX AWD Premium, 1993 Allante

I have a 93. How do I know if it's a V4J?

Quote Originally Posted by larry3828 View Post
    I have a 93. How do I know if it's a V4J?
    Look for the V4J code on the tag in the spare tire well.

abweiss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Btw I am surprised that no one mentioned the brakes of the 87-92 they are very dangrus , they fail without warning and if you don't crash the car when it fails it will cost you a lot of money to fix it, a master cylinder is way over $1000.00, when my 89 brakes failed without warning I was lucky that no cars where present cause it went right trough the intersection. I now own a 93 that does not have that horrible braking system, when I went to visit johnny monzo's shop in nj he had several crashed allantes that the brakes failed. I say the 93 is so much better then the earlier ones

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.