Electrical Gremlins - Cabin Fan won't turn off
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Electrical Gremlins - Cabin Fan won't turn off in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a '93 Allante and the car has been plagued with some wierd electric anomolies lately. The latest is ...
    chuckw13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante

Electrical Gremlins - Cabin Fan won't turn off

I have a '93 Allante and the car has been plagued with some wierd electric anomolies lately. The latest is the the cabin fan will not turn off when the car is stopped. I even tried pulling every fuse one by one and none of them stopped the fan from running. After clearing all the error codes caused from pulling the fuses and running the car for a while I get no error codes but the problem still continues. The only way I can stop the fan is to get under the hood and pull the plug to the fan. Not the best image of an Allante driver.

FWIW, I also had an episode a month ago where the headlights refused to turn off even after manually selecting "off." After stopping and starting the car a few times it went away.

It's probably not related, but I just sold my '70 Jag XKE. I wonder if the Lucas ghosts have invaded the Caddy?

I would appreciate any thoghts.

Thanks,

Chuck

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Cabin Fan won't turn off

Its not really a gremlin, the fan power module has failed. The module is located to the right of the fan motor under hood. Necc to pull the black plastic cover off to gain access, then disconnect it. The fan will stop. Remove a couple of screws and lift it out. Its the same on many if not all of the Cadillacs of that era so you can choose to buy new or a wrecking yard.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

One of my sons once had a haunted mid-90s Monte Carlo that would randomly turn on the cabin fan for a few seconds while parked. It never seemed to kill the battery, though.

The Monte Carlo probably had an "after blow" mod installed by the dealer. People would complain about odors coming from the A/C vents when restarted in hot weather so GM had a bulletin addressing this. In essence we installed a device that would cycle the blower on with the car off. The main cause was people keeping the system on MAX cooling which closed off any outside air circulation. That would allow mold and mildew to form on the evaporator.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

^^
    Very interesting. Thanks. Last I know, he sold the car to my daughter's ex-husband.

So, chuck did you fix it??

You know the value of these sites is to list a COMPLAINT, then we give you the probable CAUSE, then you post the CORRECTION! With no correction posted, the thread is virtually worthless.

Sorry, I'm in the area that has been affected by the Ohio river flooding and I've been snowed under (or more properly, flooded under) with that. I plan to look at it this weekend. I did glance at it this morning and the electrical wires go from the fan into the firewall. Is this where that box is? I couldn't really make out a plate to take off but I really haven't been home much in the last week when it has been light.

Chuck

Look closely at the firewall, you will see how the plastic cover comes off. following the wire from the blower motor to the power module. Its not a box, its a 4? wire connector that you unplug. Once unplugged the fan will quit. Remove the screws from this module and lift it straight up and out of the air box.

I got the part out. I priced news ones but found a used one on Ebay for $40. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The Ebay part arrived tonight and even though I'm on my way out of town I couldn't resist the urge to install it and test it out. Works like a champ. Thanks a lot. I'm taking my father to West Point NY by the way for his 65th class reunion. Not in the Allante though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.