Looking at a 1989 Allante.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Looking at a 1989 Allante..... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all. New to Allante forum. Found a 1989 for sale & was looking for some advice. Spoke to the ...
    Robert Raymer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldorado ETC

Looking at a 1989 Allante.....

Hi all. New to Allante forum. Found a 1989 for sale & was looking for some advice. Spoke to the owner over the phone & going to look at it this coming weekend. Owner tells me it has 135k and everything works. Black on black. Both tops. Fresh A/C rebuild. Fresh tires. Seats recovered like original. Excellent paint & interior. No issues. Of course, I will have to personally check it out, but since I'm new to Allantes, what would be the most important things to look for? In looking thru the forum, I noticed some mention of brakes. Sounds like a certain code will pop up and you should run away as fast as you can. Is this true and which code is it? Anything other things that would "make or break" a deal? Owner is asking $6000 but might take less. What really attracted me is the color combo and the fact that it supposedly needs nothing- a real beauty. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

electricman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93, 98 eldo, 91 allante, '67 GTO

Re: Looking at a 1989 Allante.....

They always need SOMETHING.

The Allante's have all kinds of quirks, electrical system things especially. Seems like minor things are always happening in my case, at least, with my '91.

The brake system is odd in that it's kind of a "hydroboost", doesn't use a vacuum booster, but instead an electric-motor driven pressure pump to provide the 'power" for the system and integrated with the ABS. Pretty much unique to the Allantes so if has a problem it's $$. The driver's side power window switches go bad and are $$$. The top pulldown motors for the soft and hard top are problematic but once adjusted correctly, are pretty good. Radio/cassette/CD were a problem in mine; radio worked, nothing else, then finally the radio died too. The housing is slightly too narrow to fit a DIN radio without cutting. I fixed the radio but added a modern DIN radio under the dash below the glove box so I wouldn't cut up the orig. It uses a BOSE speaker system with speakers mounted on respective amplifiers, my left rear is still acting up, need to check it out this spring.

Cat converter insides are rattling around, A OEM fit is not available from the aftermarket, neither is a muffer. I'm going to replace the cat with a fabricated pipe and muffler with a Magnaflow stainless with more fabricated pipe.....

Nice ride, tho. Love to drive the thing.

george

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Re: Looking at a 1989 Allante.....

To reiterate, the brakes. Theres a red warning light on the dash, if its lit, its a red flag for attention. It could be as simple as the parking brake didnt release completely or as bad as a couple of grand in repairs.

The bose amplifiers go out and will leave you with no sound. they can be repaired pretty cheaply if you know how to solder well but if you dont and want factory its expensive.

The latches on the seat backs for tilting the seat forward breaks, which will make it very difficult to lean the seat forward. easy fix, just time consuming

Check the seals around the window and top, they are expensive as heck to replace since they arent made anymore.

Like electricman said the window switches are a common problem on these.

top and trunk motors

heater

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.