Kills Battery
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Kills Battery in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anyone know why my 93 drains my battery if it sits for a couple days. It's a new battery. ...
    pchrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 allante factory fitted hardtop, pearl white 53,000

Kills Battery

Does anyone know why my 93 drains my battery if it sits for a couple days. It's a new battery. I can drive it all day long with no problems but if it sits it drains.
    I don't see any dome lights or anything staying on. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Re: Kills Battery

check the alternator

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

These cars do have tons of on-board electronics that stay on, even with the key off. Even so, the battery should stay charged for a period of 2 ds of no driving. As has been pointed out, the alternator may not be charging the battery. You could also have a short somewhere which is draining the system?

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

With the engine running, make sure the battery warning light isn't on in the dash, indicating a bad alternator. If that's the case, the alternator is the culprit.

Check the pulldown motor for the soft-top. If it is misadjusted it often won't register that the rear of the top is pulled down, and will begin to recycle. This will continue until either the motor burns itself out or the battery dies.

Those would be my first places to check.

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

Another area of 'concern' is the antenna motor; this, too, can continue to operate until the battery/motor dies. On earlier years of the Allanté there was a problem with the door lock system; once the car is locked, the system should shut down until a key is inserted to unlock the door; at times the system stay 'awake' and drained the battery as well.

My '92 Allanté can go up to 3 weeks without driving it, and the battery is still ok.

Hope this helps.

94ZR1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante

I once had a car that did this and baffled the hell out of me
    and it turned out to be a mirror light that was left on and couldnt be seen with the visor up another time it was a glove box light that couldnt be seen with the door shut another time it was a faulty door jamb switch
    I just realized this has happened to me a lot

pchrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 allante factory fitted hardtop, pearl white 53,000
    Thank you all. Great help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.