Radiator Cooling Fans Always On
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Radiator Cooling Fans Always On in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; To do some other work on my engine, I removed both radiator cooling fans from the car. When I reinstalled ...
    Ozark Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Radiator Cooling Fans Always On

To do some other work on my engine, I removed both radiator cooling fans from the car. When I reinstalled them I noticed that they come on with the key and are both on constantly. However I get no error msg in my DIC unless I turn the A/C on. Then I get a cooling fan error logged as 441. I have gone through the trouble shooting procedure in the shop manual and suspect I have a bad fan control module. However, the manual seems to indicate that testing of the fans occurs at start up. I don't get an error unless I turn on the A/C. Any ideas? (BTW always disconnect the neg term on your battery anytime you will be unplugging anything electrical.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Radiator Cooling Fans Always On

I believe your fan module is not letting your fans go to max speed, that would acount for no apparent faults unless a/c engaged. Log onto Allante.us and type in "fan" or "fan module" in the search section. Theres a good very basic desciption in there having to do with whats normal or not with radiator fans. This module is also used on Sevilles and Eldos and is located behind the grille on both. I read alot of threads regarding a/c on, a/c off, I leave my system in auto and 72 degrees all year long. every once in awhile I'll switch to low fan or on a nice evening to economy. My point is using these systems like a manual a/c, heater system causes, I believe, stress on blower motors, switches and blend doors. Also when the system malfunctions, you might not notice as soon as you would left in "auto" mode. Sorry for the "rant" but hope this helps, Bill.

hammer489 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N* AWD 1SG

Re: Radiator Cooling Fans Always On

I cant speak for an allante, but I can talk about my experience with my 89 eldo. The fans would both stay on constantly, and when the a/c was on i would continue to get "cooling fan fault" messages on the DIC. It turned out that there was a black box that sat directly behind the grill. From 15 years of water, snow, salt and any other crap that is flung up on the front of the car cooked the box. Rather than buying a new box from another eldo, which would be under the same conditions, I found an 88 deville and took it from that. I dont remember the location exactly, but it was located behind the headlights. Simple plug and play installation. The other thing I must caution you about is driving around with the a/c on and a cooling fan fault. The fans will have a mind of their own and will suddenly both shut off with the a/c compressor running. Not only will the motor quickly get hot, but the freon will boil. Therefore, I recommend not using the a/c until you get it sorted out. Good Luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.