88 ABS Brake Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 88 ABS Brake Problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi All: Suddenly developed a problem with ABS system Went for short ride. Parked car and when I went to ...
    Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

88 ABS Brake Problem

Hi All: Suddenly developed a problem with ABS system Went for short ride. Parked car and when I went to start the car, the "anti-lock dissabled" message came on along with the brake warning lamp. The lights and message would not go away. There was no power assist so the braking ability was very poor. Limped home and ran onboard diagnostics. Only code present was B481 (ABS Problem). No other code was present so it referred me to Chart K in service manual. I don't have a "J-35562 Pinout Box" So I stopped there.

Questions: 1. Do any of you have experience with this problem? 2. Do ABS issues ever have happy (inexpensive) endings? 3. Do you think this is something that my local garage can handle? They have been good with other less technical issues....Wife's about to throttle me... lol This car is getting expensive

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Re: 88 ABS Brake Problem

did you hit any speed bump or bumps in general? did ANYthing happen out of the ordinary?

have you tried clearing the codes?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Sudden loss of assist is usually the electric supply pump inoperative or the main ABS relay stuck or fried. Need more imput! Turning the key on , not starting the car, can you hear the electric pump buzz? when you depress the pedal. Can a shop fix it, well you need to find a technician older than the car and its best that he have the factory service manual. I've owned 2 Allantes and the supply pump failed on both, never had a failed relay. Log onto www.allantesource.com and follow the ABS tutorial.

Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

Thanks all. Dick Hussey has been helping me do some troubleshooting. The pump is working which is good news. Starting to focus attention on a relay. Once I get things sorted out, I will share the email string so you all can see how this process went. Very interesting so far...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.