New Owners of a 1987 Allante..... - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, New Owners of a 1987 Allante..... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO oooo yea manual softtop once you remove the hard top youll see 2 levers behind the ...
    DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

Re: New Owners of a 1987 Allante.....

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    oooo yea manual softtop

once you remove the hard top youll see 2 levers behind the driver seat, the bottom one will release the soft-top boot cover, it should pop up slightly, you can slide it back the up...

then manually lift the soft top using the instructions above

the rocker switch is on the underside of the rear shelf behind the driver seat. reach under there and feel around or have a peek under there. its purpose is to manually raise or lower the top pulldown assembly (the trunk latch looking thing) in case it accidentally improperly latches and lowers on its own.
    Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........

Progress to report....

My friend and I spent a day with the Allanté on Sunday and got quite a bit done. We repaired a brake fluid and power steering leak, vacuum leaks, and replaced the PCV valve. We then removed the throttle body which was obscenely corroded with carbon and let it swim in parts cleaner. We also thoroughly scrubbed the plenum with a tooth brush and carb spray. While doing that I crawled under the car and did a trans fluid and filter change. All in all we've seen a vast improvement in the car's performance and shifting but it's still not 100%. Next on the list would be plugs and wires, followed by brakes all around, including a couple calipers in the front since the bleeders are seized preventing us from properly bleeding the system. It seems like the previous owners (before my girlfriend's dad) ran the car into the ground judging how bad the brakes were and how much the car seems to have lacked regular maintainence.....

For the moment the car is gonna have to sit for a bit since I've exhausted my funds for the project at the moment. I hope to be back at it before the snow begins to fall......

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I would recommend you bleed the master and supply pump seperate from the calipers. They can be bled by simply turning on the key after you've pressed the brake pedal a minimum of 25 times to depressurize the accumulator. You were very lucky on the throttle body in the cleaner. Most times it damages the TPS switch. The book says to NOT clean nor spray the larger of the 2 bores because chemicals can damage the TPS. Use DELCO spark plugs for the newer 4.9 engine. Platinum and last 100,000 miles. Put a wrench on the bolts that hold the pulley on the water pump to make sure they're tight. Many came loose, damaging the pulley. Any electrical connections you unplug put dielectric grease on the pins, prior to plugging back in. Keeps electrical ghosts away!

The calipers are the same from that era of Eldo or Seville. The chassis was a shortened Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    I would recommend you bleed the master and supply pump seperate from the calipers. They can be bled by simply turning on the key after you've pressed the brake pedal a minimum of 25 times to depressurize the accumulator. You were very lucky on the throttle body in the cleaner. Most times it damages the TPS switch. The book says to NOT clean nor spray the larger of the 2 bores because chemicals can damage the TPS. Use DELCO spark plugs for the newer 4.9 engine. Platinum and last 100,000 miles. Put a wrench on the bolts that hold the pulley on the water pump to make sure they're tight. Many came loose, damaging the pulley. Any electrical connections you unplug put dielectric grease on the pins, prior to plugging back in. Keeps electrical ghosts away!
    I'll look into the bleeding process for the master cylinder. Also I forgot to say but we removed both the TPS and the ISC from the throttle body before dunking it, no electrical components got wet.....

Thanks for the clarification. I presume you've made a copy of www.allantesource.com regarding the brake procedure. Its under ABS information.

I printed that page actually, it;s stuffed in my service manual.....

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

any updates DS?

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    any updates DS?
    Added gasoline, Sta-bil, locked the doors, and wished the car luck over the snowy months..... See ya in the spring.....

And disconnected the battery? Or at least installed a battery tender device.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    And disconnected the battery? Or at least installed a battery tender device.
    ........................whoops...

Went by the Allante today and began to awaken it. Sure enough battery was very dead, and the two front tires are completely flat. I revived the battery successfully but the wheels gotta come off to bring the tires back. Fun stuff ahead......

Pic from today, getting ready for the 2011 season.....

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

Coolness, DopeStar!

If you haven't bled the brake system, you should look into it. It's VERY easy; if I could do it, literally anyone can. Just something to think of.

Quote Originally Posted by billc83 View Post
    Coolness, DopeStar!

If you haven't bled the brake system, you should look into it. It's VERY easy; if I could do it, literally anyone can. Just something to think of.
    The system is bled for the most part, the car needs a couple of calipers in the front since the bleeders have seized and I can't bleed the system properly. I'm waiting on that before I go any further with the brakes, however everything looks ok for the most part, I'm still working on getting it to run right after sitting all winter. I'm excited to be out there again.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.