1954 cadillac pininfarina
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 1954 cadillac pininfarina in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Did any of you know this car existed? Just heard about it last night on a random show I was ...
    Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

1954 cadillac pininfarina

Did any of you know this car existed? Just heard about it last night on a random show I was watching.

http://www.shorey.net/auto/american/...oadster-01.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Re: 1954 cadillac pininfarina

thats really nice. i wonder how many of those were made

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

I was not aware of it. Like it!

The link is a neat site. It has a lot of good pics of a lot of different make concept cars.

mdscad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS Prem 3.6 DI-FE3 / RWD / Wht Dmd / Ebony Recaro Seats

In 1947, International Motors of Los Angeles, a Cadillac distributor, asked Pinin Farina to design some special coupe and convertible bodies for General Motors models for Hollywood stars and magnates.

Pinin Farina gladly accepted. He knew that the US was the largest automotive market in the world, and getting a strong toehold could be very lucrative for his company. One of the concept show cars produced by Pinin Farina was this, an extraordinary 1954 Cadillac Cabriolet. The car was exhibited on the show circuit but only this single version was ever built. And so, today it remains a spectacular one-of-a-kind. It's a very cool car!
    http://jbm479.blogspot.com/2009/07/1...adster-by.html

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I grew up, until the age of ten, in Pasadena, CA from the years 1947 to 1954. As a young "car nut" I was lucky to see a wide variety unusual cars , both in Pasadena, but also in L.A. and Hollywood. During those years there were several dealerships selling both porduction and coachbuilt cars from both the U.S. and Europe.

My favorite agency was Peter Satori Foreign Cars which was located on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena. Satori was one of the first post-war importers of British and European cars. The agency was an authorized dealer for Rolls-Royce and Bentley as well as Jaguar, Aston-Martin, M.G., Austin, Hillman Minx, Sunbeam Talbot, Austin Healey, Rover as well as the Italian makes of Alfa Romeo and Fiat. It was one of the treats of my early life to get to visit this agency and take in the so many different cars and of course become addicted to the scent of Connolly leather!

I also got to visit some of the foreign car dealerships over in Hollywood, where my dad worked. In the 1950's there was a multi-brand dealership that sold Mercedes, Delahaye (with ***oni and Falschi coachbuilt bodies) and European exotica. At this time the lesser Mercedes were not really sold in the U.S. and this agency gave me first glympse of the Mercedes 300 models (top of the line costing in the same range as factory bodied Rolls of that time).

There were also several used car lots specializing in the sale of foreign cars. Somewhere I have pictures of me standing next to Jaguar Mark V sedans and cabriolets and XK 120s not to mention lovelly Simca roadsters and M.G.s. My dad's boss had an Aston-Martin DB2. Betty White bought her first new car, a "tomato soup pink 1952 Ford Sunliner with a continental kit (Betty was a friend of mine in those days), Lee Liberace got his first car a 1952 red Oldsmobile 88 convertible that he and his brother George would sometimes drop by our house on a Sunday afternoon.

In the early fifties it was not uncommon to see a Cord 810 or even a Duesenburg on the used car lots along Colorado Blvd. Packards were all over the place. Pasadena had been a prefered Winter resident of many of the very wealthy Mid-western industrial families and the home of several cutom coachbuilders so the custom bodied cars showed up on the used car lots quite occasionaly as their owners went on to the more modern styles of the 1950's. They were just "used cars" not yet recognised as highly desirable "classics" of the "Golden Thirties!"

The 1950's were the years of the annual styling change and a period of extreme "keep up with the Joneses" in general, but particualarly among the Hollywood set. So car turnover was very quick, custom bodied cars, like the Pininfarina Cadillac seen here were not common, but certainly were around. A little later on the Chrysler powered Italian Dual Ghias were the car of choice, as well as French Facel Vegas.

All this is why Southern California became so well known for its' car loving culture!

carmental is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I just saw an ad on the inHD channel last night describing this car - quite a sight to see in high def. I don't recall who it was made for but it was for a film director in LA, the car went onto be displayed at that Paris car show that year, quite an interesting story.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.