going to look at a 1990!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, going to look at a 1990! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello All!, i have been seriously pondering buying a allante! i found a 1988 allante, white ( been repained terrible ...
    eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

going to look at a 1990!

Hello All!, i have been seriously pondering buying a allante!
    i found a 1988 allante, white ( been repained terrible job) and the lady wanted 5K for it. with 143,000 miles on it. EVERYTHING in thr car squeaked
    she would not drop in price what so ever.

While browing Kijiji i found a 1990 allante black on black. this car from pictures looks to be in good shape. your typical wear on the seat ( only small cracking, no tears to be seen) and the wheel looks used for sure, however it would appear everything else was Okay.
    it needs a paint job becuase the trunk looks a bit sun burnt, so i assumed the soft top would be in bad condition, however it is not, it actually looks pretty damn good!.
    the 1990 has a 4.1? i beleive I am not certain, I have only had northstar powered cars before.
    I would like to know some pitfalls with these cars, mainly in 1990 if you could help me out that would be greatly appreciated!. thanks!
    im excited

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: going to look at a 1990!

The 1990 had the 4.5 engine. Check the FAQ threads for info on 1990 and 1990.5 cars. The 90.5 cars had the improved soft top used on 91s and 92s. I would want to make sure it was a 90.5

If you're interested, come across the border to Michigan and make me an offer on my silver / burgandy 91 with 35K miles. It's in the classifieds.

hey man! thanks for the respond. i have been searching all the threads for a couple days now!
    how do i know if its a 90.5? what is the main diffrence? or a sticker i could check?

C5 Rv, i would love to make you a offer but i can't afford it!. with 35K thats low mileage and if its over 5K its not do-able for the next 4-5 months.
    i am saving us right now.

Quote Originally Posted by eyekandyboats.inc View Post
    ... how do i know if its a 90.5? what is the main diffrence? or a sticker i could check? ...
    I think the only way you can tell from exterior pics is to look at close-up shots of the front end. The early 1990 cars, like the 87-89 cars, have thin stainless or chrome pieces of trim on the front edge of the fenders and hood that surround the outside and top of the headlamps. When looking at ads, it's often hard to discern.

Do search of the FAQ thread for "90" to find the differences.

thanks! : i also read that the soft top mini cover is stored in the back of the seats in the 90.5 models. unlike the 90 models. so i can tell that when i see the car!

LOL There will be seat pockets on the seatbacks of the 90.5, but there may be no mini-covers. People tend to stop using them or lose them - often by not remembering to remove them before raising the top. I use both of mine, but at least one is scratched from being raised with the top.

i gotcha! here is a picture of the car.
    you can see the need for paint on the trunk lid!.

Oh i found out it has 145,000 Km on it. and it is a 1990 model, not 1990.5 model.

Remember that the cheapest part of this hobby is searching for the perfect car.

Bought the car!
    I am SO excited! i drove it and it drove with less rattles then my 2001 DTS!!!!! the top is MINT and the pull downs work properly. seats are great too!.
    only thing inside that does not work is the radio. It has the hi pitch hum/wine in it.. but it doesnt matter to much. I am going to make a stereo system in the car and replace everything and run the unit in the glove box. so it looks factory.
    The headlight is cracked a bit but thats not big deal. it was fixed pretty good! other then a paint job this car is fantastic. he also has the KEESMART electric locks and stuff in there as well!.
    windows work fantastic, all the LCD works except it has a couple dead crystals in the INFO centre. however it is still read-able
    I might talk to N* caddy see if we can swap the LCD display from the CD deck to the INFO centre..
    engine runs fantastic too. i gave it some WOT and just cruised as well.. did about 14 Miles on it for a test drive.
    you guys will be seeing me more and more as i begin the restore of this car!
    thanks
    Taylor-

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by eyekandyboats.inc View Post
    Bought the car!
    I am SO excited! i drove it and it drove with less rattles then my 2001 DTS!!!!! the top is MINT and the pull downs work properly. seats are great too!.
    only thing inside that does not work is the radio. It has the hi pitch hum/wine in it.. but it doesnt matter to much. I am going to make a stereo system in the car and replace everything and run the unit in the glove box. so it looks factory.
    The headlight is cracked a bit but thats not big deal. it was fixed pretty good! other then a paint job this car is fantastic. he also has the KEESMART electric locks and stuff in there as well!.
    windows work fantastic, all the LCD works except it has a couple dead crystals in the INFO centre. however it is still read-able
    I might talk to N* caddy see if we can swap the LCD display from the CD deck to the INFO centre..
    engine runs fantastic too. i gave it some WOT and just cruised as well.. did about 14 Miles on it for a test drive.
    you guys will be seeing me more and more as i begin the restore of this car!
    thanks
    Taylor-
    "CONGRATULATIONS TAYLOR!!!" We always love seeing a new Allante owner! Once you get bitten by the bug, you never recover! "LOL" Tom Rohner of the ALLANTE Store in San Diego has replacement headlight covers, and probably anything else you might need. Also check in with Dick Hussey at The ALLANTE Source in Florida. "GOOD LUCK!!!"

Chief

well thank you very much! i will check there stores.
    I just did a 184 mile drive with 3 hours of driving with the top down!. what a fun drive.
    i got 24.5 mpg average as well! it has some power behind it. certainly not as much as my northstar powered car but oh well! shes a cruiser!!!.
    the best 2500 dollars i ever spent!

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

your 90 has 200 hp the '93 with n* has 295.. Your 4.5 will cruise at 80mph all day long and ask for more. Be sure the brake fluid and coolant get changed every other year and it will run forever!

i was told my brakes are all new. brand new accumulator and master as well as lines and everything. as of 2 years ago!
    thats a good thing!
    i have one question tho..
    when you start the car the brake light appears for about 10 seconds while the car is on.. it says traction disabled... and then the light goes out and says traction OK... whats up with that?

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

That's normal. After sitting for a bit, the brake system loses pressure. When you turn on the car, the pump kicks on and repressurizes the system. Though on my '88, it says "Anti-Lock Disabled/OK" because Traction control wasn't available.

Congrats on your purchase!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.