SDD Problem - new owner scratching head
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, SDD Problem - new owner scratching head in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay - I bought a 91 that has been sitting for a long time. I am having my challenges, but ...
    mhuffy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante

SDD Problem - new owner scratching head

Okay - I bought a 91 that has been sitting for a long time. I am having my challenges, but one that leaves me scratching my head is in the info screen, it says I am having a problem with my SDD. I pulled the owner's manual and it says to take it to the dealer. I am not a dealer guy. Typically what is the issue with this? Is there a diagnostic trick?

Also, another quick question - where is the radio unit located? It powers up, changes channels, shows stereo mode, but no sound. I think this is repairable, but don't have a factory manual to find the actual stereo unit to check.

Thanks for your help.

Marc

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

macsr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Pearl Red Allante

Re: SDD Problem - new owner scratching head

marc, the single best thing you could do for yourself and your allante is to go on Ebay and buy a Factory Service Manual for your year model. It will be a life saver in both time and money. Most repairs on these cars are not that difficult to do. With a FSM its usually a breeze. Good Luck Mike

DavidL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4

Marc: the radio head unit is located behind the glove box on the passenger side.

Thank you

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Check out http://www.allantesource.com/index.html for SDD and radio info. You can call Dick and he can walk you through diagnosing radio problems. (That's something I should do, too, since I replaced the speaker amps, it worked, and now it does the same thing yours is doing.)

Thanks for the tip.

I cannot get the glove box open. The key works for everything else, but that. Went to the lock smith and he cannot even pick the lock. He says somethinjg is binding it up. I now am on the search for a new lock and latch mechanism as he wants to drill into the lock to break it. I would not let him do it until I found a replacement as I figured I could live without accessing the glove box. Now - I guess I will need speed up that process or start singing lessons.

As far as the suspension issue - it appears that someone replaced the rear struts with just basic monroe struts. They are not near oem or compatible with the SDD System. Guess I will have to live with it for now also.

In the immediate future - 2 tires, 2 motor mounts, 1 inner tierod, and brakes. When I am ready to revisit these issues, I will definitely be calling on more advise.

Thanks for your input.

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Replaced with Monroe's as they are discontinued. Most guy's swear by the Monroes. Don't know where I picked this up (but know it is plagarized from somewhere) It will remove the annoying error message.

PROCEDURE TO TURN OFF SDD ERROR MESSAGE

To deactivate the Service SDD (Speed Dependent Damping) message on the Driver Information Center (DIC) message window, use the following procedure.

LO (fan speed) = No

HI (fan speed) = Yes

COOLER = (Blue Button) = decrease by one for each time pressed

WARMER (Red Button) = increase by one for each time pressed

Press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the DIC until the display changes. This is the beginning of the diagnostics mode. Any stored trouble codes will be listed, and can be copied for future analysis.

When you see the message "ECM ?", Press LO

When you see "BCM ?", Press HI

When you see "BCM DATA ?", Press LO

When you see "BCM INPUTS ?", Press LO

When you see "BCM OUTPUTS ?", Press LO

When you see "BCM OVERRIDES?", Press HI

When you see "BS00 No Overrides", Press HI
    until you see BS08

When you see "BS08 Option 2", note down the
    current value (probably 3)in case you want to restore it later.

Then press COOLER until the number is reduced by 2.

Press and hold ELAP TIME and FUEL USED for at least
    3 seconds to save the new value in the EEPROM. The display will flash momentarily and then display the newly stored number.

Press RESET to exit diagnostics.

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

With respect to opening the glovebox, is the key slot horizontal or vertical? Sometimes the problem is not the lock but rather that the vinyl has delaminated in from of the handle. If the slot is vertical, try pushing down on the vinyl in front of the handle and lifting the handle up over the vinyl. Many an Allanté glovebox door has been broken by pulling the door without the latch being disengaged.

The latch is horizontal. I took it to a locksmith and he could not even pick the lock. He said if we could find another mechanism, he would drill it, but I didn't want to break it. I don't know what the availability is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.