Phase I top on phaseII car anyone?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Phase I top on phaseII car anyone? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Has anyone retrofitted a P1top on a P2 car with one of the kits available? I'm looking at buying a ...
    urljive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 allante 66 deville

Phase I top on phaseII car anyone?

Has anyone retrofitted a P1top on a P2 car with one of the kits available? I'm looking at buying a P1 top for my P2 car and need some feedback on the fit of the kit and if the latch kit works well as far as wind noise, leaks & squeaks.
    I cannot find a P2 top anywhere in Ontario and the P1's are definitely more plentiful and affordable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

electricman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93, 98 eldo, 91 allante, '67 GTO

Re: Phase I top on phaseII car anyone?

I bought the kit a few months ago but haven't done the conversion yet. It comes with a DVD with good instructions and I did watch it.

The kit uses the side latches, mounts them on the front header plate of the top along with some machined parts that resemble the locking bearing used on the soft top header motors. The kit has instructions and dimensions for mounting.

The header plate on the hard top and weather strip need to be trimmed somewhat since the receptacles on the later windshield frame protrude up. This area is where you get a bad seal if you don't trim the interfering areas.

George

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Just saw on another site that Scott Flack rsflack@yahoo.com has a conversion kit -never used at fire sale pricing of $75. or you could use the $.98 fix (suggest substituting an eye-bolt):

yeah, mine had that when i bought it...........it had an eyebolt, tho... same color headliner, actually.....

I improved on that by making a small bracket from angle iron and using the same bolt hole. looks better than an eyebolt.

Still, the mods for the front piece and weatherstripping are valid, because even with my latches tight, I still had a lot of windnoise/leakage thru the top of the windshield.

George

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Would be interested in seeing a pic of the bracket.

Here are some pix. I also made a "J" hook out of a hardware store "J" bolt, threaded it with the required metric thread, (8mm I believe), since the original hook was a bit too short in the "J" portion.

George
    Attached Images

urljive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 allante 66 deville

Thanks! I'm hoping to hear from a guy who has a P1 top for sale about 100 miles from me. I'm thinking of driving my car to him and putting the top on for the ride home. Maybe I'll use a strap or 2 to hold it on for the trip home

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.