Top Pull Down Motor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Top Pull Down Motor in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, I lowered the top on our 92 Allante last night, and the rear pull down motor/latch just keeps recycling. ...
    D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

Top Pull Down Motor

Well, I lowered the top on our 92 Allante last night, and the rear pull down motor/latch just keeps recycling. It does so even with the key out of the ignition? The only way I could come up with to stop it from doing so was to jam a nut between the sensor lever/tab and the body. When that little lever is held down the motor stops.

The motor did not do this last November when the car was put into winter hibernation?

So what is my problem here, and, hopefully, the fix?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pvelasquez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldo 95, 97, 83 Deville 91

Re: Top Pull Down Motor

Thanks for the links. I shall indeed check them out. Appreciate it!

al1029 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 allante

You could also pull the fuse until you get the motor to behave.
    I think it's #24 or 27 not sure don't have my manual in front of me.
    My pull down motor did the same thing this week after our long winter.I believe the fibers in the rag top shrink up over the cold winter months just like boat canvas.
    On my unit the stress of the shrinking rag top pulled my motor away from the bulk head a hair. Made some adjustments to the motor,parked the beast in the sun to get the rag top supple and all is well again..

I find your shrinking rag top theory a bit confusing. At least in my case the top was up all winter. This problem surfaced after I lowered it. At that point the J-hook is disconnected from the mechanism, is it not? Since it is, how could that be the problem?

As anyone can tell, I am new to Allante, and do not know alot/anything about what I am discussing!

al1029 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 allante

The fibers in the canvas will shrink over the winter with the top up.
    Cold weather has this effect on all canvas.

see if your motor is lose against the bulkhead. also pull on the manual release
    on motor to make sure the jaws are open.

all I can say is that I adjusted motor against bulkhead and mine did stop cycling.I think the pulling by the canvas shrinking knocked mine out of alignment. When I released the top from motor sounded like a small explosion.

Hope this helps ya a little. I am now off to do battle with my fan relays..

It never ends!!!

macsr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Pearl Red Allante

First get a bottle of whisky. Drink half and proceed.

I sounds to me like the limit switch is not working properly. If you can stop the motor from cycling by pushing down on the lever attached to the switch then the click switches are not operating as they should. If you look to the side of the switch (side toward the passenger side of car) you will see little nub sticking from the switch. when the latch travels up it trips the switch at the top and stops the motor. same when it travels down. that is the clicking sound you hear at the end of each travel. If the latch is not triping this switch the motor will continue to cycle up and down. If it is triping the switch the switch is bad. you can stop it with the lever switch on top but that is only temporary as soon as you release the lever switch it will cycle again. These switches are available from GM but you have to transfer the lever from your old switch to the new one. Really and easy job.

on the link below go to the picture of removing the limit switch and look about a inch above the screwdriver end and you will see the nub of the up click switch
    http://dana60.com/rickko/allante/pulldown/Pulldown.html

mascr,

I can stop it from cycling by pushing the lever down. In fact I have a nut jammed between the switch and body right now, to accomplish just that.

I shall have to crawl in there, with plenty of light, and see what I can see, if anything.

Thanks -

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by D Yaros View Post
    mascr,

I can stop it from cycling by pushing the lever down. In fact I have a nut jammed between the switch and body right now, to accomplish just that.

I shall have to crawl in there, with plenty of light, and see what I can see, if anything.

Thanks -
    Dave...mine was doing that too for a long time, and Tom Rohner from the Allante Store in San Diego fixed it. He made some type of adjustment on it (with a screwdriver) and I never had the problem again. You should contact him and ask him exactly what the adjustment entails.

Chief

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by babylac89 View Post
    Dave...mine was doing that too for a long time, and Tom Rohner from the Allante Store in San Diego fixed it. He made some type of adjustment on it (with a screwdriver) and I never had the problem again. You should contact him and ask him exactly what the adjustment entails.

Chief
    1. Find and open that half empty bottle of whisky. Take a swig.

2. Carefully use the screwdriver as a pry bar to be sure the lever is straight and level.

3. Top should now cycle properly.

4. If top continues to cycle continuously, release it, raise it to latch, curse, take another swig of the whisky, and jam the screwdriver back into the mechanism to randomly try to resolve the problem.

5. Repeat step 4 until you get the top to cycle properly, run out of whisky, break off the lever, or hurl the screwdriver out of your garage and impale your mailbox by the road.

I hate the top mechanism. It makes my blood pressure go up, and my car is still in storage for another week.

Problem solved: The manual release cable had a bare spot that was rubbing on the pull down motor case, creating a ground. Covered the wire and all works as advertised!

electricman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93, 98 eldo, 91 allante, '67 GTO

A clarification on the pull down motor. The main reason I found for the motor cycling is the lever switch. The pulldown motor has two switches; the lever switch on top of the switch body, and the reversing switch inside the lower portion of the switch body. The hook in the top is supposed to push the lever switch all the way down when the carriage goes fully down. The lever switch cuts power to the motor when the carriage is down and the reversing switch trips.

The problem is that the hook attached to the top may not be pushing the lever switch all the way down. AllanteSource.com describes the issue and the fix is to tweak the lever so it gets as close to the latch, insuring the top hook will press down on the lever.

In my case, I may add a metal piece to the lever to get it as close as possible to the latch to fix it once and for all. The hook seems a bit too short to press down on the lever.

George

I resolved the problem. It ended up being that a cable cover had worn through and was shorting to ground on the pull down motor. Once I taped the cable covering, all returned to normal operation!

electricman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93, 98 eldo, 91 allante, '67 GTO

I guess that can happen because what triggers it to pull down is a connection to ground from the pull down metal to the metal top structure. Once it reaches bottom, the lever switch is not depressed by the top hook either so it cycles back up and then repeats.

Interesting. All this xtra hardware Cadillac designed in to try to make the top operation "simple" and it causes all these reliability issues.

George

dmottram is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The best source for this information is Dick Hussey at Allantesource. Look under pull down motors on the link at the left side of his website

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.