1992 allante what have I done!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 1992 allante what have I done!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well gentemen and ladies I I bought a bottle of scotch a case of beer (figured I'll need it) and ...
    horologist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): fleetwood and allante

1992 allante what have I done!!!

Well gentemen and ladies I I bought a bottle of scotch a case of beer (figured I'll need it) and 1992 Allante which I fell in love with and bought without researching. Then I found this forum however late. I saw the radio , pull downs and window switches were bad when I looked at it and he is fixing them (i gave him allante source for info and parts) I hope to pick it up this weekend!! I hope and pray the brakes are good but I am prepared for the worst. I drove it and had to have it. I dont have the vin with me right now but it looks like Pearl white or I have heard you guys mention diamond white do you know the code in my vin to look for. Oh "tanish interior" hard top.. just great!! I knew it was the car for me!! I also have a 1977 Fleetwood Broughm taking up the rest of my garage. (wife not happy)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

prospyder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Silver STS V6, 1990 Red Allante

Re: 1992 allante what have I done!!!

H,
    Welcome to the madness. You've got a good handle on the typical problems we Allante owners have to solve and the supply of libations you noted should help you weather through them. There are great resources available, including this site, that can help you keep your '92 running.
    Please post pix of your new ride.
    Jim
    Webster Groves, MO

macsr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Pearl Red Allante

First off congrats!!!! Second return immediately to store and triple the quantity of libations for 1st week of ownership. You are gonna enjoy this purchase better than any BARAND NEW car you ever purchased. I got a 93 in January and hate to get out of it. When I do I sit in the garage and look at it. LOL Get on ebay and purchase a factory service manual. This will become your best friend and only source of reading in the near future. Also here is a link to a wealth of information and assistance with any problems or questions. Good Luck and Welcome, Mike OK

http://allante.us/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Join the insanity. Fun quotient per dollar on this car is extraordinary. Not for the weak of heart. Buy more alcohol, a FSM and get wife a nice 'lil gift. Tell her she'll always know where you are drinking and assuming the horizontal position in her absense-garage floor.
    Enjoy, after fixing brakes, radio, pull downs you will be looking for something to tinker with. Think wax and buffers. Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome this site is great I will post pics when I get it and figure out how to do it..There were two manuals in the trunk each as big as war and peace. Still no word if it will be ready this weekend I will keep you posted the manuals lead me to believe the previous glutten for punishment may have maintained it..fingers crossed. I'm in Northeast Pa. the guy or as I read one of the three allante gods in southern jersey who is 142 miles from my town is going to be on my christmas card list for sure!

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Since you bought the car without proper research, it didn't start well. But you appear to have the cure:

- Membership here
    - Alcohol
    - A sense of humor.

Welcome!

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the pictures. Where in North East are you located? I am outisde of Philaldelphia in Media. Was this an ebay purchase or cirumchance?

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

"WELCOME!!!" You have made the most rational, irrational decision you'll ever make??? Nobody needs an Allante, yet we all want one! Allante ownership is right up there with classic Jags, MG's, and Austin Healey's. No matter what happens, we always find new reasons why we love these cars! hahahahahahahahaha So don't try to figure it out, you are now a member of the fraternity of ownership, so ENJOY...ENJOY...ENJOY!!!

Chief

I am in Steamtown or Officeville...Scranton to be more precise and the car was pure luck or UN-luck i'll have to keep you posted. Still dont have it well I have the hard top home and waxed it about four times already. The guy was to have it ready last weekend but put mid-week now. Checking brakes which is good for me he already did the radio window switches pulldowns exhaust. Should be right when its done. 70+ this weekend it BETTER be ready I can only sit under the hardtop looking out the back window for so long...gets boring.

Quote Originally Posted by horologist View Post
    I am in Steamtown or Officeville...Scranton to be more precise ...I can only sit under the hardtop looking out the back window for so long...gets boring.
    LOL I hear ya....hope it happens and we can see some pictures! Best of luck till then with the top

greengofer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by horologist View Post
    Well gentemen and ladies I I bought a bottle of scotch a case of beer (figured I'll need it) and 1992 Allante which I fell in love with and bought without researching. Then I found this forum however late. I saw the radio , pull downs and window switches were bad when I looked at it and he is fixing them (i gave him allante source for info and parts) I hope to pick it up this weekend!! I hope and pray the brakes are good but I am prepared for the worst. I drove it and had to have it. I dont have the vin with me right now but it looks like Pearl white or I have heard you guys mention diamond white do you know the code in my vin to look for. Oh "tanish interior" hard top.. just great!! I knew it was the car for me!! I also have a 1977 Fleetwood Broughm taking up the rest of my garage. (wife not happy)
    I have used Dick Hussey at Allante Source for a number of years. The guy is awesome as is his partner. They know every single thing that can go bad on an Allante and can fix it and usually have the parts. Best of all they do not charge an arm and a leg. I just had my burgundy metallic 92 detailed and it is an awesome car. Remember this is the Ferrari of Cadillacs so to speak and it likes to be garaged and kept out of the rain for the most part. The electronics don't do well when they get wet and there are a lot of electronics in this car. It also likes to be driven so take it out whenever you can and open 'er up. ALWAYS set the parking brake because the brake light will stay on if you don't. Good luck.

Carnage is offline Cadillac Owners Member

***ALWAYS set the parking brake because the brake light will stay on if you don't.***

Do you care to elaborate? This statement make no sense.

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

That's the first I've heard of that ailment, but setting the parking brake is good practice anyway. IIRC, the rear calipers are kept in alignment by the parking brake.

BTW, greetings and salutations. Welcome to the wonderful(ly frustrating) world of Allante.

Quote Originally Posted by billc83 View Post
    That's the first I've heard of that ailment, but setting the parking brake is good practice anyway. IIRC, the rear calipers are kept in alignment by the parking brake.

BTW, greetings and salutations. Welcome to the wonderful(ly frustrating) world of Allante.
    In my case, setting the parking brake requires me to use the manual release!!!

ICEBLUE89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Congrat's' to all of us. I wanted one from first seeing one in my childhood days. Bang, I started looking into them and found 89' was a good year to start. From the Eastern panhandle of WV I ran up to Cinn. OH and grabbed this 89', as I call Iceblue, thrus the s/n, and from there.....for jokes, I saw a 92 on E, and threw a bid in. It was so cheat I knew I was never going to win. BANG, away from the puter, I get a "You have Won" message. I was rolling. This 92 was in NY this time. So off again with my 89's paper's and tag hehe, and another one way rent a car and pick him up. Pull down motor, of course, no hard top and fading paint on the lid's, I was ready. Took me the time to start it, drive around the block and pay the man. On went the tag and back threw NY in rush hour...Eeerrr. Then I thought of P-Town and the car was pointed that way. Yes, new car to me, but haven the 89 gave me a feeling of thrust that we couldn't care less. After a few week's, in which it was parked, I jumped in started up and back home to WV we went.
    This club is AWSOME. As you know they will run you VIN and give you all the fun stuff about your new child. What I didn't know was this cheap 92 I grabbed for a song thinking of resell...end's up being only 1 (one) made of 50- POLO GREEN !!!! So much for my flip huh??? My 89' was stolen and taken for a joy ride and now being parted out. I miss her. Her top, pull down, window and brake PSI motor is gone guys. Black Int. is Grt8 and the tape, as Amp's, aka speaker's and radio BOOM !!
    Welcome and don't give up...............SORRY SO LONG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.