Cadillac Owners Forum banner
7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  babylac89 
#1 ·
Does anyone know which year and model Cadillac's have the same style and type of Center Arm Rests (with cup holders) as a 1993 Allante?? I would like to change my 92 Allante's center arm rest to this type.Thanks:confused:

#4 ·
Tony Ieradi didn't Scott Flack do this to the '92 you bought. Any comments? like it ?

Thinking of doing this so I asked my old buddy Scott for step by step direction:

Here is a condensed version of the swapping procedure.

1) Convince yourself that you really want the flop out cupholder and that you're fed up with every other version of cup holder that you have tried in your 87-92.

2) Outbid 5 other people in the last 20 seconds on Fleabay to snatch up your '93 armrest.

3) Prepare to install (give yourself a couple of hours the first time).

Details....

1) Disconnect the battery! Very important!

2) Remove the ashtray assembly above the fuse holder and disconnect the wires going to it.

3) Remove the two screws on the "plate" that covers the gear shift area (connect to the shifter boot).

4) Remove the clip under the gear shift handle and pull the handle off.

5) Put the key in the ignition and turn to "on" (this is why you want the battery unhooked) so that you can move the gear shift from park to drive. This will allow you to slip the boot up over the gear shift lever.

6) Remove the slip in junk tray under the center console cover of your 87-92 console.

7) Remove the four screws on the plastic plate covering the trunk and fuel buttons.

8) Disconnect the wires from the trunk and fuel door buttons. Remove the wires from the inner console light switch.

9) Flip the armrest all the way up and the center console door. There are four nuts (10 mm) that secure the center console into the metal bracket at the very back of the inside of the console. The bolts protude downward through the bracket (that stays with the car). Remove those nuts and you should now be able to lift the entire center console/armrest assembly out of the car.

10) Take the console and place it on a towel on a work bench or table.

11) Remove the four 8 mm bolts that attach the console lid to the body plate of the console (flip the cover up and look back towards the hinge).

12) Turn the console over and you will see a couple of 10 mm nuts that hold the armrest assembly on. Remove those nuts and slide the armrest out of the console from the bottom.

13) You will have to drill out two rivets on each side that fasten a retaining clip which hold the pivot point into the armrest supporting frame. Drill the rivets out, remove the clips and remove the armrest from the frame.

14) On the '93 armrest, remove all hardware on the sides. Purchase two 6 mm bolts (about 1.5" long), and some 3/4" long nylon bushings that will fit in the roughly 1/2" hole in the armrest support frame. I used lockwashers under the heads of my bolts and screwed the bolts in to the holes on the side of the 93 armrest. It will be pretty obvious what you need to do. You simply need a pivot point for the armrest when it is mounted in the support frame. I will post pictures of this.

15) Now as the shop manual would say.....installation is the reverse of removal. Put the armrest in the frame, bolt the frame in the console shell, bolt the hinge of the center console locking lid to the frame, put the entire assembly in the car, install the four retaining nuts in the inside rear of the console, blah, blah, blah. You know the drill.

P.S. I removed the stupid, worthless little strut while I was in the console. Works fine without it.

#7 ·
Flacco's instructions are pretty accurate, except that the hardware for the 93 arm rest was included, along with a copy of Flacco's installation guide on the arm rest I purchased. The most difficult part was removing the rivits, on the old armrest, I used a grinding wheel to remove them, also, I marked each wiring connector, using masking tape, with it's location. Finally, The plastic tabs, that secured the console to the body, were broken ( I understand this is quite common, from people pushing on the console), so after dry fitting the console I marked their location, removed the console and drilled holes to allow me to install screws from outside of console. You will also need to make 2 spacers to be placed between the inside of the console and mounting bracket. I used 2 blocks of wood 2X2X3/4 and drilled a hole in each for the mounting screw to pass through. I purchased screw caps at a local RV dealer, to cover the screw heads.

#10 ·
Think that is Mike from California selling those armrests. Think he's an Allantenet member from California. phone number is buried on some web site??? If we can find it, I'm sure he'd give us a member price. Know several who have bought from him with good results. Called Dick at Allantesource as I have a credit with him from some core parts I sent him. Awaiting his reply as to whether he has any.

Would also appreciate the mentioned link. Also weren't these used in other Caddy', Olds and Buicks. Anyone know models and years for boneyard hunting?

#13 ·
Think that is Mike from California selling those armrests. Think he's an Allantenet member from California. I'm sure he'd give us a member price. Know several who have bought from him with good results. Called Dick at Allantesource as I have a credit with him from some core parts I sent him. Awaiting his reply as to whether he has any.
quote]

Mike will contact Dick today on the core/trade. If a no go, I'll call today.

#12 ·
I am the one that sells these items on Ebay. I have sold about 50 of these with excellent results, and 100% satisfaction. I have a supply of these and would welcome inquiries form club members. The trick is to find these items unbroken and in presentable condition. Then find the right color, or have them redone, then find the hardware to go with them for the correct installation, and finally to print out the instructions for installation. I do all of this for my customers at under $100. I try to sell only first quality items that I would install in my own car. This is an excellent upgrade for any year Allante. I can be reached at (562) 927-6935, or e-mail at mikel912netscape.net

#14 ·
Mike is a super good guy, and he owns a rare Montana Blue '93. I've known him since I fist bought my Allante in 2005. He is also the Los Angeles Chapter Leader for the Allante Club of America. Anything you buy from him will be first class and you won't regret your purchase. He is also a very knowledgeable Allante person and has put on Tech Sessions with Tom Rohner.

Chief

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.