Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Allante, Radio Modifications

27K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  cadillac kevin 
#1 ·
Hello
On A 93 Allante Anybody out their change out the CD /Tape Player / And Install A Radio/CD/DVD/GPS System I see that their is a Size Issiue Not sure if anybody has more info. I caught a photo of a gentelmen in Mass. change the system out he did have to cut the Side of the dash Area were existing units are located but well done and hard to tell unless you are looking fo it I have tried to find the link again no luck Anybody out their with same exspierence I have found the bypass wires an Amp is in trunk speakers are good. Any help
Thank You
Carmen Cangelo629@aol.com

#5 ·
Chief Will Do On The Pics
I have been also looking at installing a Satillite radio with NAV touch screen with FM. Modulator and mount it were the tape player is and go through the existing system with little modifications and having my CD player upgraded to a DVD. I am working on the correct componets and I will keep good records as I am trying to find a way for all of Allante owners to have it look factory and resonable in cost: stirpot:

Carmen 93 Allante

#7 ·
Chief
I Live In Columbia Station, OH Cleveland Area :welcome: I Am Working On doing some touch up on the interior of the car just to brighten it up. I am very lucky this car has great very good interior close to new looking I reshot the tonue cover and matching upper trim. Car was well cared for always garage between Ohio and Florida
Carmen

#8 ·
Carmen...I'm glad you joined us, it 's always great to have another person who shares the same passion about these fine automobiles. I'm also looking forward to seeing your conversion, I'm sure you'll do a super job! It's got to be getting pretty cold there in Cleveland about now, so I hope that you have a warm garage. Good luck!

Chief

#9 ·
The weather here has been really good no snow mid 30's to high 40's and sun we have missed all the snow so far this year but now that I mentioned this It will be only a matter of time. Yes heat in the garage and some room to work so ok their. I am sure if you are in Southern California no problems their except the rain. I am still working on witch way I will go with this but will arrive at it soon. As I said earlier I might do a Built in GPS/ Satellite Radio With A DVD screen and run it with a F.M. Transmitter as my 93 radio works exellent. Remove the tape deck for the din install so this will look factory. I think I found a unit that will fit the smaller space I am going to look at it this week. I am also looking a marine application as they come in a lot of differnt sizes still run 12 volts.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
I know it's a bit late to chime in, but conversion on a '93 should be much easier than an earlier model year. '87 - '92 Allantes had Bose radio units which are incompatible with other systems. Aside from looking stock (and other aestetic issues), an aftermarket unit should be able to hook directly up.

With the earlier BOSE units you'd probably be looking at buying new speakers and rewiring each one.

#12 ·
Yes Bill on the 93 you can hook right up to the speakers as long as the head unit amp matches up. If you own a 87 to 92 about this time anyway most are starting to loose the abilty to hold volumn they have the amps attached to the back of the speakers and most are not working like they used to. I am taking a look a several marine units. The bye pass wires are readily availible so that is one step in the right direction.:suspense:

#34 ·
i got tired of waiting and went ahead and did it, sorry i didn't take pictures, can take one of the comnpleted project, the problem was not the 7" speakers, the double din, or the dic. it is the depth of the new unit, i put a post under bob52jones in nav unit change out. i didn't take pictures but i can take one of the completed project, plus new bass booster (20 hour job)
bojones@msn.com

#19 ·
i've looked all over the internet, there is only one unit that i have found that has a 6.1 diagonal screen, but it still has the standard 7" chasis, i see no way around a flush mount gps, nav, that will fit my 93. i went to six different radio places, that were all told to walk away from any allante conversions, they would all require cutting. i went to several marine dealers, the only thing available that is not the seven inch standard is mounted on a stick

#21 ·
this is from the guy who knows allante's
No. The DIC panel has embedded software that is part of the car's computer control and diagnostics system. It must be left intact.

--- On Wed, 10/27/10, Bo Jones <bojones@msn.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: 93 allantelocal caddy shop jobs all allante parts from vintage gm.
To: "Dick Hussey" <allantesource@prodigy.net>
Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 3:34 PM

do you have any after market dvd, nav ideas to replace my radio in my 93
bob jones

#22 ·
i've got out the old schematic on the electrical diagram of the 93, i've found a possible fit. its a vm 9324, with all the bells and whistles, i'm looking to see if the dic is a ground seeker, or a access/control point. in either case, w/' either a 5v or ground, the dic will think the radio and ancillary equipment is there in a turned off state. the 9324 runs a little less than 600. it's a double din, with od of 6.5 inches. which is a positive fit. if it doewsn't work and i blow everything away, i guess i'll have to get real close to dick donw in florida. the dic is the fly in the ointment. being a elictrical engineer i'm hoping that i can figure this out. the radio/nav/bluetooth/gps will be here next week, i will spend the weekend on the project, and do a step by step for all that are interested. the good news is if i crash it, i just bought a 93 w/ 24k miles, and i'll just drive that one. green as opposed to black.
de colores
bob

#24 ·
jensen vm9224 picked one up on ebay for 524, read the factory spec's said it was designed for older cars, the pre seven inch slot. at that price, nav, bluetooth, ddv, am/fm back up camera, mine will be here next week, got the shipping notification on it last night, the vendor was audio savings.

#25 ·
also, i looked at it bare bones, and with all the packages in the price, it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper getting full blown, as opposed to the piece parts. and if you were not in a hurry, you could find a refurb even cheaper. i looked all over, amazon, crutchfiedl, e.g. this place was cheaper by 100's
best of luck
bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.