Allante, Radio Modifications - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Allante, Radio Modifications in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; And here I thought you had left us in the lurch! Chief...
    babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

Re: Allante, Radio Modifications

And here I thought you had left us in the lurch!

Chief

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

any update on this project?

tvbest is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): allante

We really want to see some updates and maybe a few pics.....

bob52jones is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i've looked all over the internet, there is only one unit that i have found that has a 6.1 diagonal screen, but it still has the standard 7" chasis, i see no way around a flush mount gps, nav, that will fit my 93. i went to six different radio places, that were all told to walk away from any allante conversions, they would all require cutting. i went to several marine dealers, the only thing available that is not the seven inch standard is mounted on a stick

the radio that on paper that comes the closest is the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT [SE-1045118-SE, it has a 6.12 screen, double din, but i can't find the od width, far as double din goes, my local mechanic said that would not be a problem, it's all about the width
    bob

this is from the guy who knows allante's
    No. The DIC panel has embedded software that is part of the car's computer control and diagnostics system. It must be left intact.

--- On Wed, 10/27/10, Bo Jones <bojones@msn.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: 93 allantelocal caddy shop jobs all allante parts from vintage gm.
    To: "Dick Hussey" <allantesource@prodigy.net>
    Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 3:34 PM

do you have any after market dvd, nav ideas to replace my radio in my 93
    bob jones

i've got out the old schematic on the electrical diagram of the 93, i've found a possible fit. its a vm 9324, with all the bells and whistles, i'm looking to see if the dic is a ground seeker, or a access/control point. in either case, w/' either a 5v or ground, the dic will think the radio and ancillary equipment is there in a turned off state. the 9324 runs a little less than 600. it's a double din, with od of 6.5 inches. which is a positive fit. if it doewsn't work and i blow everything away, i guess i'll have to get real close to dick donw in florida. the dic is the fly in the ointment. being a elictrical engineer i'm hoping that i can figure this out. the radio/nav/bluetooth/gps will be here next week, i will spend the weekend on the project, and do a step by step for all that are interested. the good news is if i crash it, i just bought a 93 w/ 24k miles, and i'll just drive that one. green as opposed to black.
    de colores
    bob

electricman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93, 98 eldo, 91 allante, '67 GTO

What brand is that, Bob? You say the width is 6.5" ?

George

jensen vm9224 picked one up on ebay for 524, read the factory spec's said it was designed for older cars, the pre seven inch slot. at that price, nav, bluetooth, ddv, am/fm back up camera, mine will be here next week, got the shipping notification on it last night, the vendor was audio savings.

also, i looked at it bare bones, and with all the packages in the price, it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper getting full blown, as opposed to the piece parts. and if you were not in a hurry, you could find a refurb even cheaper. i looked all over, amazon, crutchfiedl, e.g. this place was cheaper by 100's
    best of luck
    bob

Bob, I just took a look at the specs.... it says the width is 178mm, same as a std DIN radio, which makes sense since it claims it's a double DIN.

It sure would be nice if it is, in fact , slightly narrower.

george

let you know early next week
    bob

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

im curious as to how "deep" the cassette deck and tuner module are...also how deep is the dic unit?

Hey Bob, I've pulled my radio chassis out to try and fix it, The DIC still works normally with no indication that anything is amiss.

George

94ZR1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante

I am putting a kenwood touch screen unit in It has nav, sat radio etc
    It required modifying the dash and cutting the back off the old unit so the buttons would work for gas mileage etc and also so the orig vent would go back in
    A standard single or double will not slide into the opening as it hits on the right side and in back
    It has left about a 3.5 in gap between the double din Kenny unit and the bottom of the old center stack which is perfect for the center channel speaker for the 5.1 audio
    I replaced the door speakers with 6.5 inch Kenwoods I think and the speakers behind the seats with 5 inch Kenwoods all of which required modification
    One amp in the trunk controls the 4 interior speakers and another for the Sub which is a 12" MTX blue Thunder in its own enclosure
    another small amp controls the center channel speaker in the dash
    That amp had to go under the dash off to the side as there was no room behind the head unit

I am going to reuse the orig factory door tweeters

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.