Phase 1 phase 2 tops.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Phase 1 phase 2 tops. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a '90 1/2 with the phase 2 convertable top. She's only got 83,000 miles. This is a very ...
    Skid Rowe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Phase 1 phase 2 tops.

I have a '90 1/2 with the phase 2 convertable top. She's only got 83,000 miles. This is a very nice everyday driver, but will never be a show car.

I've found the latch assembly at the windshielod header to be very tempermental, and mostly a pain in the butt. (Sometimes it latches, and sometimes it doesn't, and it's hard to push the switch behind the seat, and hold the top down too). A hardtop is definately in her future.

Now,........most people buy the phase 1 top (being more plentifull), and install the change over kit so that it will fit on a phase 2 car. My question is this: Is it feasable to remove the later model (electric) header clamp assembly, and replace it with with the earlier phase 1 (manual) clamps? Are the windshield header updates, bolted on, or were they welded on at the assembly plant?

I've got a '90 Reatta convertable with an all manuel top, and it's way less troublesome than the Allante top.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante

Re: Phase 1 phase 2 tops.

Hello Skid Rowe,

I have a "93" with a Phase 1 hard top. My hard top latches using the same manual leavers that came on the Phase One vehicles. Next to the visors there is a small pannel that comes off, and there you can screw in a hex bolt for the earlier top to latch on to. You will have to drill through the pannel or leave it off to get the bolt in place to latch the top.

I bought my top on Ebay and had it shipped to John Monzo in New Jersey. John was kind egnough to have the top painted to match and I then drove up from TN and he finished the install and I drove home with my new top fasened securely. It was a cheap and easy fix, however I have a small gap where the faux vent window would be on earlier models. You will not have that problem. Email me or PM me and I might be able to help you with some pictures.

Don

TollKeeper is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have been wondering where I would get a hard top. And what are the conversions, if any, needed to put on a hard top that wasnt ordered with a hard top (i think). I am thinking about buying a 89 Allante that only has a soft top. And since it will only be driven about 2 months a year (job and such wont allow me to drive it more) a hard top is a must. Let me know please. Thanks

Brian

rowdy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

good question, tollkeeper- I have a black '93 (when the hardtop became an option). I am looking for a source for a hardtop as well. Any luck yet?

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You have to be VERY careful looking for Phase 1 hardtops if you intend to fit them onto Phase 2 and Phase 3 Allante's. For the first couple model years, the original weatherstrips were hollow rubber. The were all supposed to be replaced with the latex seals as used on later Allante models. Some of them were not upgraded. I do not believe it is possible to satisfactorilly adapt a Phase 1 top with original weatherstripping to a later Allante'. Part of the weatherstripping that contacts the windshield header must be cut away so the Phase 1 top will fit down flush against the header. The metal bar in the middle of the old style weatherstrip interferes with the fit. They will probably leak very badly, and I do not see what you can do to fix it. Proper weatherstrips are no longer available new.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.