Looking to get into a 87 model
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Looking to get into a 87 model in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Not a owner yet but wanting to find a nice 87 model. Just wanted to introduce myself and see if ...
    slowleak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Allante

Looking to get into a 87 model

Not a owner yet but wanting to find a nice 87 model. Just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone knows of one available. I am located in North Mississippi but willing to travel a little bit for the right car.

Glad to find this place and look forward to learning more about this wonderfull car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: Looking to get into a 87 model

Welcome! Any special reason you prefer to get an 87? First year cache?

Many folks seem to want (or not want) a 93 due to the Northstar. Others, myself included, want a 90.5-92 which seem to have the fewest bugs.

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

Owning an '88 (which is identical), I can tell you they're fun cars, even if the later models have more power under the hood.

- Make sure you have a place to store it! Either a carport of (preferably) a garage. The Phase I top is known to leak, and you don't want to drive it after sitting and find your interior ruined. I was lucky finding one that had been garaged its whole life.

- If the BRAKE light doesn't stay off, or comes on unexpectantly, beware. The brake system used in these cars (except the '93) is complicated and requires relatively simple but often forgotten maintenance.

- '87 models came with the hardtop STANDARD. If they don't have the hardtop, and tell you it was an option, they're either misinformed or lying.

I searched on Craigslist around North Mississippi, Memphis TN, and Atlanta (my geography's not the best, I figured those would probably be the closest major cities) - no '87 Allantes to be found. There are a few other year models, though.

slowleak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Allante

Thanks guys for the replys. I just Bought and drove a 1991 model back from Slidell, La. to the house. ( 260 miles )...got home late tonight. Hope the weather is nice Sunday. I will start a new thread with some new pics and some new questions.

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

You will be extremely happy with the '91...can't wait to see the pix!

Chief

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by babylac89 View Post
    You will be extremely happy with the '91...can't wait to see the pix!

Chief
    Yes, happy:

- Happy cruising with the top down next to a beautiful woman
    - Happy admiring the car after a wash and wax
    - Happy you have a good paying job to pay for a mechanic to be as confused as you are trying to diagnose and solve a problem on the car
    - Happy you know plenty of curse words so you don't have to repeat yourself too often.

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy the remaining days left of summer.

For what it's worth, after seeing several Allantes up close at a Cadillac meet a few weeks ago, I like the '90.5+ convertible top's setup much more than mine.

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by slowleak View Post
    Thanks guys for the replys. I just Bought and drove a 1991 model back from Slidell, La. to the house. ( 260 miles )...got home late tonight. Hope the weather is nice Sunday. I will start a new thread with some new pics and some new questions.
    Congratulations! And yes, please post some pictures or send us a site!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.