Taillight Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Taillight Questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I got a left taillight / brake light message yesterday and eventually resolved the problem by replacing the outside left ...
    c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Taillight Questions

I got a left taillight / brake light message yesterday and eventually resolved the problem by replacing the outside left rear bulb with a 2057. Some questions, though:

- I originally thought the problem was with the inner bulb. However, that is not a 2057. It has a single filament. The owner's manual and O'Reillys both said it should be a 2057. I replaced it with the same bulb that was installed. (1037 or something like that.) Is that not a brake / turn signal light?

- The Allante facts and other posts state that brass, not tin, based bulbs should be used. Why brass? Is this due to heat buildup? The stores only seem to stock bulbs with silver bases.

- The old bulb appeared fine and the blinkers worked on the outside of the car. However, the blinkers did not work or chime inside the car. Is this normal when the car detects a blinker problem? The new bulb fixed everything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Taillight Questions

The brass vs silver bases has to do with resistance values seen by the computer to display the fault message. The fault display relies on seeing a difference in resistance. Silver in one and a brass in another will display a fault but work just fine. The socket in question either has 2 contacts in the socket or one. A back up bulb would have 1 socket, all others, i believe should have 2. As you know, the difference between a 1057 and a 2057 is how many filiments are within the bulb and how many contacts are in the socket. Also dual filiments bulbs have offset pins on the base wheras single ones dont, so as to not error in replacement.

Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

I found the brass base bulbs at NAPA. Autozone only had the silver color and looked at me like I had two heads when i asked for brass. The chime does not function properly when the bulb is burnt out. I had a melted socket that i had to contend with and the chime didn't work on the defective side.

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by Moose123 View Post
    I found the brass base bulbs at NAPA. I had a melted socket that i had to contend with and the chime didn't work on the defective side.
    I have a side marker socket I need to replace. Any place better to look than online?

Thanks

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Any auto parts store. Its only a generic white rubber type socket that twists in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.