How to Fix Top Pulldown that Cycles Continuously
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, How to Fix Top Pulldown that Cycles Continuously in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When putting the car away yesterday, the pulldown cycled down and up continuously with the J-hook engaged. I disengaged the ...
    c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

How to Fix Top Pulldown that Cycles Continuously

When putting the car away yesterday, the pulldown cycled down and up continuously with the J-hook engaged. I disengaged the latch, cycled the pulldown down, left J-hook unhooked, covered the car, and cursed the top under my breath.

Today I reviewed the shop manual and old threads here about adjusting the pulldown motor to stop the cycling. Repair steps:

- Enter the garage armed with a beer and a flashlight.
    - Cycle the pulldown and limit switches (aka poke around) until the pulldown switch won't function.
    - Lower the top until the J-hook contacts the latch, allowing the motor to cycle.
    - When the latch reaches the top, lift the top and slam it down.
    - Pulldown motor pulls the top down and stops correctly. Problem solved.
    - Shrug shoulders and drink beer.

I'm pretty sure this "repair" will hold at least until I put the top down again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

Re: How to Fix Top Pulldown that Cycles Continuously

Mine had been doing the exact same thing for years and I would finagle it like you did each time to try and lock it it place. I was lucky enough to be a a Meet last month at the Reagan Library and Tom Rohner was there. He owns the Allante Store in San Diego, and Tom obviously knew exactly what the problem was, and made a slight adjustment with a screwdriver, and I have never had the problem again. So it is obviously a very minor problem, but if you don't know how to adjust it properly, then it becomes a very large annoyance!

Peace,

Chief

Ah, yes, the screwdriver is another one of my favorite, um, diagnostic tools. It has both the poking around end and larger whacking end. It's convenient that they come in larger sizes for more stubborn jobs.

As the old saying goes..."If it moves, use Duck Tape...if it doesn't use WD-40!"

Chief

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

If you look straight down at the pull down motor, you will see a black lever that follows the J hook down. That spring loaded lever MUST be parallel and very close to the pull down latch ( within 1/32 " ) that grabs the J hook. Most are bent back towards the trunk lid and will allow
    this lever to move away from the J hook once its in the pull down latch. This will cause the pull down to never get a good ground and it will continue to cycle. What Tom did with the screw driver was to gently bend this lever forward to parallel the pull down I presume.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    If you look straight down at the pull down motor, you will see a black lever that follows the J hook down. That spring loaded lever MUST be parallel and very close to the pull down latch ( within 1/32 " ) that grabs the J hook. Most are bent back towards the trunk lid and will allow this lever to move away from the J hook once its in the pull down latch. This will cause the pull down to never get a good ground and it will continue to cycle. What Tom did with the screw driver was to gently bend this lever forward to parallel the pull down I presume.
    Thanks!!! I had absolutely no idea what he did, all I knew is that it took him about three minutes to fix it and it works perfectly now!

Chief

Thanks, again. I'll have to inspect mine the next time I have the top down. I'll also have make sure I have beer in the fridge.

FYI...If you're a member of the Allante Club of America, there is a complete article dedicated to the convertible top in this month's issue. It's totally informative and I now have a more thorough understanding of how this whole convertible top mechanism works. It even covers changing the entire motor all together with step by step instructions.

Peace,

Chief

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

Great advice from carnut, as usual.

The "black lever" adjustment worked as advertised. I noticed that it was easier to get leverage on it if I used the pulldown switch to lower the latch. Thanks!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Its also a good practice to slap/drop this J hook into the pull down rather than gently insert it. On mine I would drop the glass/ J hook about 6 to 8 inches above the pull down motor and it has worked for years.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.