Brakes Still Overheating
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Brakes Still Overheating in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've posted this question to dick at Allante source but I'm curious if others have experienced this problem. What do ...
    Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

Brakes Still Overheating

I've posted this question to dick at Allante source but I'm curious if others have experienced this problem. What do you think? I'm looking for some help in diagnosing an overheating problem with my brakes. It started after I had my mechanic change the DOT 3 fluid while servicing the vehicle. Initially, the problem was with the rear brakes. The wheel covers got so hot you couldn't leave your hand on them. In fact, the left rear wheel was smoking hot. I took it back and they inspected the system, lubed the emergency brake mechanism, cleaned up the calipers and the problem seemed to be solved. I took the car home, went for a long drive and wouldn't you know the rear brakes were fine and but now the front wheels were very hot to the touch but not smoking yet. I brought it back in, and they said the cleaned the "slides" which had some corrosion on them. The pistons looked ok and the pads had good thickness. I'm not familiar with what the "slides" are. I never heard that term. The calipers, he said, are relatively new. He road tested it with no noticeable heat buildup. I took it for a longer test drive and wouldn't you know both front wheel covers were very hot again.

Can anyone provide any advice? Since it involves both fronts does it lean towards a problem with a component that serves both wheels? Did the changing of the fluid potentially contribute to the problem? Trying to find an inexpensive solution before my wife kills me or the car! LOL. Thanks in advance for your reply.

The mechanic has gotten the car running much better and I feel he has been treating me honestly and fairly. He said bring it back in an we'll certainly find the problem. I'm hoping I can point him in the right direction or take care of it myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

Re: Brakes Still Overheating

ll: Here is Dick Hussey"s reply. Very interesting and saved me some headaches!!

"Front wheels do get too hot to touch comfortably, but they should not smell like burned brakes. Allante' ABS systems have two diagonal braking systems built in. RF/LR are on one system. LF/RR are on the other. Therefore there's really nothing that will get both front brakes too hot unless BOTH calipers or BOTH brake hoses have a problem. If the brakes smell, they are too hot. If they are just hot, it's probably normal. Another way I check- on a slight incline put the car in neutral and see it if rolls or if it is stuck. Or take the car out of gear as you are coming to a stop to see if it feels like the brakes are applied or if it just rolls. These last two tests have a subtle feel difference to them. If you are not sure have your mechanic see what he thinks. Make sure everything is good and hot first."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.