Dead Battery
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Dead Battery in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So, yesterday I washed the Allante. Put the soft top up, broke out the old wash and bucket, and washed ...
    billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

Dead Battery

So, yesterday I washed the Allante. Put the soft top up, broke out the old wash and bucket, and washed away. I planned to wash both Cadillacs, but ended up spending 3 1/2 hours [!] getting the car clean.

Anyway, I put it back into the garage and go to start it today (for a good interior cleaning), and *BAM* nothing. So, I jumped the car (a much tougher proposition than I care to admit here - too little space, too many cars to manuever one into the garage), let it run for a bit, and now seems fine.

Whoever designed the Allante's battery placement needs to be bludgeoned.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: Dead Battery

Quote Originally Posted by billc83 View Post
    The location in the Allante is a slight improvement over the location in my previous fun car. My 81 Vette had the battery in a compartment under the floor behind the driver's seat.

Battery access on the Allante is greatly improved if you run both seats fully forward and leave plenty of room to fully open the driver's door. Granted, this advice is worthless if you find the battery dead in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv View Post
    Granted, this advice is worthless if you find the battery dead in the morning.
    I laughed at that, thanks. At least the seat backs pull forward.

Exacerbating matters, there's a post in my garage that lines up so I couldn't open the passenger door more than a few inches.

Crossing my fingers that it starts this morning...

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

The location of the battery does suck, but on the my '93, as far as a jump goes, it 's got the same jump terminal under the hood as the BMW which is extremely convenient. When my first battery died I replaced it with a Braille Endurance Battery that is totally sealed, only weighs 21 lbs. and it has 1520 cranking amps. So, needless to say, I never had a battery problem again. Plus I never have to check it with it being in such an inconvenient place.

The only negative is that the battery cost $250.00, but for a car that originally cost over $60K, it's the least I could do!

Chief

Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

I disconnect my battery after every trip. I don't know if I have to but it's a habit I have gotten into. I guess I should figure out if I have any stray current that would drain the battery while sitting there for a week or so. I'm thinking about installing a switch but I haven't done so yet.

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Moose sounds like a priority start is just the ticket for you. ( prioritystart.com ). goes under 11.7v and it automatically disconnects the battery. Jump in, hit brake or the key and it automatically connects the battery. I love the product.

Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

hey wcoates, thanks for the idea. That is great! I really appreciate the information you get from this site.

Was walking through Walmart and saw a Black and Decker battery tender type floating charger that had three different methods for connection. Cheap-cheap! Anyone have any experience with this device?

actually interested as one connection method was ring terminals that I thought might be able to be permanently connected to the under hood connection under the front fender. Anyone ever do this? If possible, is there a nut of any different material that would be preferable?

Johnny_Buchanan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Allante '88

Quote Originally Posted by billc83 View Post
    Hang on, aren't you supposed to jump start the Allante from engine bay?

At least that is what my service manual and owners guide say.
    There is a connection on front bulkhead for + cable and - goes to front suspension turret. Had no trouble at all when jump starting mine earlier this autumn.

-J

Absolutely John that is the prefered location for jumpstarting. My last question had to do with this floating type charger from Black and decker. The three methods of connection each have their own easily connecting/disconnecting type of two wire pig tail that plugs into the actual charging device. I would like to permanently attach the ring terminal method to the under hood junction box so the device could be easily plugged in after each road trip? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Buchanan View Post
    Hang on, aren't you supposed to jump start the Allante from engine bay?

At least that is what my service manual and owners guide say.
    There is a connection on front bulkhead for + cable and - goes to front suspension turret. Had no trouble at all when jump starting mine earlier this autumn.

-J
    Man, now I feel really stupid.

Add that to the fact the transmission will engage if you turn they key, so I could have pushed back into the driveway and avoided that stupid garage post.

Guess I just wasn't thinking because I was prepping the car for a show.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.