"Newbe" with a few questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, "Newbe" with a few questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm a long time car collector that just could not pass up a nice running 1987 Allante. But there are ...
    Xvetteowner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Allanta

"Newbe" with a few questions

I'm a long time car collector that just could not pass up a nice running 1987 Allante. But there are a few issues that I can use some help with. The power steering is at times hard to turn.( Like the power part comes and goes)The belt is new and the P/S fluid is fine. Does that mean the pump is bad? The ABS doesn't work. Is it o.k to drive without it? and last the DIC display shows just a rear light is out, Does that mean as the owners manual states that the every thing else is working as it should? The value that these cars offer in teams of looks and options is many,mant times what the purchase price is Thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

Re: "Newbe" with a few questions

Sorry I can't answer it all, but here is what I know. The brakes will work without the ABS function. You simply won't have the stopping benefits of the ABS. As far as the lights, you will probably find that there is one light out. There is a redundancy built into the system. Make sure you use the correct bulb. It should be a 2057 with a brass base. I purchased them at NAPA. The 1157 bulb which people often install can cause overheating and melting of the socket and lens. This is a very expensive repair/replacement. I can't say what the deal with the PS pump is. Good luck.

stomper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

NO NO NO !!!!

ABS doesn work? park it and do not drive it until it is fixed. These brakes are not to be messed with.

The response by moose is wrong. The ABS is the heart of the Bosch III system.

An Allante w/o ABS is basically a car with 3 or 4 stops away from a total failure.

It could be other things like the e-brake not fully released but until you get it all sorted out, do NOT DRIVE IT.

PARK IT ...

Quote Originally Posted by Xvetteowner View Post
    I'm a long time car collector that just could not pass up a nice running 1987 Allante. But there are a few issues that I can use some help with. The power steering is at times hard to turn.( Like the power part comes and goes)The belt is new and the P/S fluid is fine. Does that mean the pump is bad? The ABS doesn't work. Is it o.k to drive without it? and last the DIC display shows just a rear light is out, Does that mean as the owners manual states that the every thing else is working as it should? The value that these cars offer in teams of looks and options is many,mant times what the purchase price is Thanks for any help

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

The ABS doesn't work.
    ^ This is a bit too vague to diagnose the problem, but I'm going to assume you haven't ran the car and maybe just turned on the accessories to find the red BRAKE light staring at you, in addition to the DIC reading "Anti-Lock Disabled" (IIRC).

BEFORE YOU DRIVE THE CAR:

1) Make sure the parking brake is released - the release button in located underneath the dashboard on the driver's side and can be tough to find if you don't know where.
    2) Start the car, and give it about a minute to warm up. If the car has been sitting for a while, this should charge the accumulator, which is necessary to run the brakes. After about 30 seconds, the light should go off and "Anti-Lock OK" should display on the DIC.

If this doesn't fix the problem, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL IT IS FIXED!!!!! It is only a matter of time until the brakes totally fail. There are a few sites which offer parts and services regarding the Allante's Bosch III brake system.

Xvetteowner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Allanta

I could think of few things that would ruin a nice car ( And my day)like "total brake failure" I'll plan on finding the problem and fixing it myself. Worse case I need a ABS pump. Thanks for the input. By the way, Can your really can change the plugs on these cars? How many hours of work should it take?

Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

Good post and I may have to stand corrected but I'm not sure, my 1988 Owner's Manual, Section 2B, states "If the "ANTI-LOCK DISABLED" message is on, the car may still be driven. The conventional brake system will operate normally without Anti-Lock assistance". Thanks for the feedback. As for the spark plugs, the front four are relatively easy. The rear four are relatively difficult. I was not able to accomplish from underneath the car laying on my back. (One of them (driver's side) is accessible from the top if you remove the air inlet i believe). I plan on taking it to the shop for this

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Do the ABS diagnosis on the www.allantesource.com web site before driving car. The taillight message can be 2 different brands or wattages causing the message.

87allante4.9swap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 87 Allante 4.1 50 Ford Custom FHv8

I own an 87 Allante my antilock brakes are out (I drive it everyday) and mine always says at least one rear light is out.LOL.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I would not brag about the anti lock non function. This era of ABS has virtually no back up brake system in case of total failure. Every Allante that I see in a wrecking yard has had a front end COLLISION THAT PUT IT THERE. 90% of the time the light message has to do with mismatched bulbs (different brand, brass bases instead of silver) or simply not disconnecting the redundant module and reconnecting it to erase the false message. These bulbs must be 2057's and all be the same well known brand.

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Quote Originally Posted by 87allante4.9swap View Post
    I own an 87 Allante my antilock brakes are out (I drive it everyday)
    Hey me too -my '89 damn near a whole month with the ABS failure message-then total failure-scared s_ _ _ less-PARK IT- FIX IT. It is just a matter of time. hope you drive alone!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.