Allante radio question - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Allante radio question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Here is a way to keep the original sound system, and play your curent mp3's. It's called an FM modulator. ...
    cadmat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante.

Re: Allante radio question

Here is a way to keep the original sound system, and play your curent mp3's. It's called an FM modulator. I uploaded a bunch of my favorite music to a tiny flash drive, ( you can also connect your ipod or other music player to this unit) and I use one of these to play it thru my radio, it plugs into the lighter, tune the radio to an open frequency, and I have all my favorite music in glorious stereo. The sound quality isn't the best ( no mp3 is) and if you live in an urban area with lots of radio stations, you may get some interfearance from time to time, but this is a great low cost, highly versatile way to tack your music with you and not have to change the factory system. These are all over ebay for less then $10.00. I have had mine for nearly 6 years and it still works great.
    http://

dwight.j.carter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS
    Yeah I have one and it doesn't sound good at all. I think an aux input is the way to go, thanks guys.

DBA-One is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

Depends on how you value your car. An Allante with a correctly working stereo is more of a freak occurance than normal. The design of the center stack makes after-market all but impossible. The way I see it, you either go all in on the factory system by fixing it and possibly enhancing it or you do something like a Hidden Audio product. An aux option is really effective but doesn't offer perfect sound. Certainly better than those FM modulator things. Pure trash. Look in to a Kenwood KOS A300. This with an a quality FM input solution will give you everything you could want. I got mine from Crutchfield for 50 bucks. It is a discontinued product so sellers think a lot of it($). It represents huge bang for the buck and it is reversible.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

I have aftermarket sound, but my tower is intact. I didnt drill into anything to add an aux jack but i do have one.

I have aftermarket speakers, subwoofers and the amps to power them.

It was not expensive but it was pretty time consuming.

I may post a video with details soon.

jim e is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990.5 allante, 1990 allante

Quote Originally Posted by DBA-One View Post
    . An Allante with a correctly working stereo is more of a freak occurance than normal. The design of the center stack makes after-market all but impossible.
    The center stack has just the head display of the radio. This is why the display is small as the receiver is not in the stack.
    The actual receiver is behind the glove box, and its a cheap easy fix to swap out the orig. radio receiver send it to allante source and put in a rebuilt and it takes all but a few minutes.So a properly working stereo is not a freak occurance as you say.
    If amps. go at speaker location those can be rebuilt with larger capacity capacitors and work better than new.The Bose put in 16V caps and mine were rebuilt with 24V caps many years back and no issues.
    If you have an electronic shop in area just tell them to replace the caps on amp board.

masmas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 allante red soft top, subaru outback for the winter

Greetings, it is good to be back to this forum in the middle of winter, I figure we are about half way through this mess, come on Spring!!!

In my post no. 5, I mentioned installing a bluetooth radio controlled by my Dell Streak velcroed to the top of my cassette deck. Sony has an app that allows you to control the unit seamlessly through the touch screen of the Streak. I used it for about 6 weeks prior to winter storage. I give the system a 9/10. One has to turn on the radio every time manually or keep it on until you are done driving for the day. In respect to the tuner behind the glove box, no issues there since I had to get in there to disco the power and antenna. Speaker work was text book, just fishing the new wires through the wire boot at the door hinge was a bit of a chore but nothing a coat hanger couldn't do. I've become an expert at removing and installing the door panels in the process.
    One aside question, I need some minor parts, such as front rubber hood rest, glove box arm and drivers side turn signal cover. Any loose parts out there?

later,

mas

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.