Considering, have a few questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Considering, have a few questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I currently have a 1989 Buick Reatta, which I understand is fairly similar to the Allante, in more ways than ...
    Tommyh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Considering, have a few questions

I currently have a 1989 Buick Reatta, which I understand is fairly similar to the Allante, in more ways than one. Well, I don't care for my Reatta anymore, its been two years and I need to move on to something I actually like. I have narrowed down my choices to the Allante, or late 80s BMW 635csi, and 325ix.
    The Bimmers are cheap to buy, but parts are hard to get, and expensive, and you need lots of repair time (I had an 87 325i, total nightmare)

Anyways, I really want an Allante, but as an ingoing college freshman, my wallet is not as big as I would like it to be. Here are a few questions I can't find an answer to:

Fuel economy. What would you say my milage in a 1992, driving highway speeds for 15 minutes, and 10minutes city would be? (15 on my Reatta)

Does it ride more like a Corvette over potholed northern Ohio streets, or does it have a floating/cushiony ride?

Would it handle 1" of snow like most other FWD cars?

Engine maintainence-What should I look for in a prospective purchase?

And, not to be insulting, I am 18, and was one of the youngest members of the Reatta forum. Would I be one of the youngest on here if I get an Allante?
    What would you all agree would be the average age of Allante ownership?(will not sway my descision, just want to know the demographics.)

Thanks so much for any and all help! I hope I can become a member! I have wanted an Allante since I was 12!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: Considering, have a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
    ...The Bimmers are cheap to buy, but parts are hard to get, and expensive, and you need lots of repair time
    That pretty well describes an Allante, too.

As a new college freshman in northern Ohio, I'd advise you to find something like a FWD Impala that will provide you with roomy and reliable transportation during college. Save the Allante for a time when you have a garage (they often have roof leaks) and disposable income to keep it running.

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

- Fuel economy would probably be pretty similar to the Reatta; maybe a bit worse. I'm getting around 14.5 mpg in my '88 with the 4.1L - '92's had the 4.5L so might use a bit more gas.

- The ride is pretty harsh. It certainly doesn't have a floaty ride.

- I would never subject my Allante to snow. I honestly believe the only rain it saw was at a car show last summer.

- If you bought one, you probably would be the youngest one here. I'm 25 and I think I'm single-handedly lowering the average Allante owner age by a decade.

Seriously though, it's up to you, but I would heed c5 rv's advice. Unless you've got rich and generous parents or are a trustfundista, it could be a real financial burden...

Tommyh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Hahaha. Trustfundista!
    I am not one of those, but I am in the adult entertainment industry, and while it pays well, its not that good. Not what people think.

Thats not the point. My Reatta was garage kept, 93,000 miles when I got it, and selling it with 95,000. I do not drive too much. I have a friend who lives by campus and I am going to be parking in his garage on most days, and in the winter I have a truck to drive, but it is not always accessible.

My biggest thing about getting a car that can actually move people is that I don't want to shuttle everybody around, partly because I am lazy, and partly because I get lost going to the store around the corner.(lmao)

What should I look out for in a buy? I have a line on a 1992, 109k miles, triple black, $4500. It looks good in the pictures, but, just like I had to learn from my lack of attention to things I didn't know about with the Reatta, my first one was going to be a money pit. I count myself lucky that a hailstorm totaled it so I wouldn't put anymore into it, because I didn't properly educate myself on common, expensive problems.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.