Tranasaxle ID
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Tranasaxle ID in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; On my Allante, I noticed that the transaxle has "junkyard writing" on it. The Allante came with an F7 transaxle, ...
    ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Tranasaxle ID

On my Allante, I noticed that the transaxle has "junkyard writing" on it.

The Allante came with an F7 transaxle, which is essentially a beefed 440t4. The 440t4 was later renamed the 4t60.

How can I tell which one of the three I have? Rebuild kits are different for the 440t4 and 4t60, so there must be some internal differences. Are there external codes that identify the transaxle somewhere on the case?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Usually there is a tag or casting marks that will tell you what you have. I did some looking around on the 'net but couldn't come up with any info. Maybe someone else will chime in with something.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    When I had my car on the ramps to do an oil change, right on the bottom of the tranny, evgraved in it, it said 4T60-E

maybe it does with yours?

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    There's a large tag riveted on the back, but as is common, the paint flaked off long ago so the info is gone. There are some stamped letters, but they don't correspond to the info in my service manual, which would make sense if it was a later model trans.

The guys on the Allante board seem to think that, even though the mechanicals are nearly identical, the internal electrics on the F7 are different than the 440t4, so its likely its a newer F7.

I am rebuilding it (same kit for either) and it looks internally just like the book says it should.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.