1987 alante no running not so good
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 1987 alante no running not so good in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 87 alante and its running horrable. i though it was just plugs and wires. so i replaced ...
    dustytlr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

1987 alante no running not so good

I have a 87 alante and its running horrable. i though it was just plugs and wires. so i replaced the cap, rotor, wires and plugs. i don't have a owners manuel. i get a bunch of code history and only one current B447 not sure what that is.
    the care runs really rough like its missing almost. i can have the petal to the floor and it takes about three blocks to get to 35 mph.

any help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: 1987 alante no running not so good

Welcome. B447 is low A/C refrigerant, I believe.

It sounds like your driveability problem might be a clogged catalytic converter, sometimes caused by (a) bad O2 sensor(s).

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Hard to diagnose on line. You need to purchase a service manual, not an owners manual. The manual will walk you thru being able to short out each cylinder to locate the source of the miss. This car has very complete on board diagnostics for those that are mechanically competent. If you are not, the book will help your technician not guess at the problem. A good muffler shop can determine a plugged cat. converter. How old is the fuel filter. A plugged filter will restrict power but not cause a miss.

i took it into the shop. thier saying that the from the front mainifold to the muffler is pluged. the fuel filter is a couple of months old. could it just be the converter is pluged?

Yes, plugged cat. how many miles on this car? There's really nothing ahead of the cat that would plug. keep in mind that broken strata in the cat can enter and partially plug the muffler as well.

its has 108,000 miles on it. i'm hoping they tested the fuel injectors but, that was the first thing they asked about and did't get a check engine light. Is there an ECM code if an injector is bad?

I've had 2 different injectors fail on mine this year and no codes, no messages. It did affect the oxy sensor readings when monitored, but was not lean enough to pop a code. Keep in mind history codes can be an hour or a year old.

i got it back from dealership they said they went through the hole fuel injection and didn't find anything. Hoping for it to be just the cat. and muffler.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Your symptoms sound exactly like my son's S-10 that had a clogged cat due to a bad O2 sensor. Since the truck was still under the 80K emissions warranty, the independent mechanic loosened the exhaust system and my son drove the truck to the Chevy dealer with open headers.

Last night i was messing with mt car I haven't replaced the cat yet but, it did pop a code E030- ISC circuit problem. i ordered a owners and service manuel but they arn't here yet. and have no idea what that means.

i don't know if the code came up because of the way its running and it can't keep the idle at the right rpm.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.