front speaker question 88
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, front speaker question 88 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Do the front bose speakers have a magnet on the speaker itself? I pulled my enclosure today to replace the ...
    cadmat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante.

front speaker question 88

Do the front bose speakers have a magnet on the speaker itself? I pulled my enclosure today to replace the amp and discovered that it looked different then my rear speakers.

Here's what happened. Yesterday my driver front speaker went loud static, even when the fader was positioned to the back only. so I just turned off the unit and left it off till I could repair it ( as advised by sources here on old posts) Not really a problem, since after studying the info on this and other forums, I have expected I would have this problem eventually, I even had spare amps and speakers pulled from an early 90's seville and Eldorado.. Here's what was odd to me, the speakers have no magnet like those in the back units I replaced last year, is this proper? or was mine corrupted by another backyard mechanic before I got it?

Also, all the tabs on the enclosure were broken off, and the speaker was just sitting in the door.. I'm guessing this explains why I've alway heard a rattle when the door was shut, and possibly why my window glass always stopped about 2 inches shy of being completly hidden in the door when down.

I'm contemplating cutting out the rear panel of the enclosure to accomadate the magnet on the replacement speakers, but for now I have just replaced the amp, leaving my old speaker (wich sounds great) and I am working on a fix for the tabs before I re-instal.

MAtt ( still lovin' my 88, well into 3 years of ownership!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadmat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante.

Re: front speaker question 88

So, all done, used my old speaker and put in a new (used) amp.. and rigged up new brackets by bolting some small aluminum pieces to the enclosures. Yes now my window goes all the way down, and the speaker has much better bass response and is much louder then it used to be.. sitting in the door as it was, alot of the sound apparently got lost in it. , now I wonder if the passenger side is just sitting there in the door too, as it does rattle a bit on closing, and seems to sound lower.. I gusee I'll take a look, but I really hate to deal with that friggin' floating bolt plate the interior door handle goes to.. what a pain!!

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by cadmat View Post
    So, all done, used my old speaker and put in a new (used) amp.. and rigged up new brackets by bolting some small aluminum pieces to the enclosures. Yes now my window goes all the way down, and the speaker has much better bass response and is much louder then it used to be.. sitting in the door as it was, alot of the sound apparently got lost in it. , now I wonder if the passenger side is just sitting there in the door too, as it does rattle a bit on closing, and seems to sound lower.. I gusee I'll take a look, but I really hate to deal with that friggin' floating bolt plate the interior door handle goes to.. what a pain!!
    If you have the time, it would definitly be worth checking into. I have been lucky so far with my system with the minimal issues of lowering the volume (the Treble key needs to fussed with as it sticks and stops other keys from working) but overall it has great sound!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I've owned an 88 and now a 91. All the speakers look the same. Light tan cone with a black flex ring. A speaker must have a magnet to work, so I'm confused? The bose speaker is a 4 OHM unit, different than most aftermarket 8 OHM ones. Sure would like a picture of this speaker without a magnet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.