Dead Battery
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Dead Battery in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Some friends stopped over this afternoon to show off their 69 GTO that he spent the last year restoring. ($12K ...
    c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Dead Battery

Some friends stopped over this afternoon to show off their 69 GTO that he spent the last year restoring. ($12K alone in paint and body work!) He hadn't seen the Allante so we took a look - only to find the battery dead. I put the charger on it while hooked up, and it blinked indicating a continuity problem. I took off both leads, the positive lead was overtightened, and put on the charging posts - still blinking. I pulled the Wal-Mart battery out and will have to replace it tomorrow since it's supposed to be 80, sunny, and great driving weather.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Re: Dead Battery

Greg

Great weather due here in Ohio tomorrow also. Never put a car into winter storeage before Nov. 1st until this year. Had to go get it out for the week-end. Us Michigan and Ohio guys don't have much time left of '08 top down driving!

Hope your new battery solves the problem! Have heard it said about Allantes that these beasts either have a battery drain or WILL. Sure isn't the better alternative to finding the drain but I've had a priority start (http://www.prioritystart.com/) hooked to the car for three years and have been happy with the results.

Interesting product. I had a switch on my vette, but that battery was much more accessible under a hinged hatch in the rear floor.

I suspect the problem with this battery is a broken side post inside the battery. (like the Delco problems) The positive post was torqued down WAY too tight by someone at my mechanic's shop a few weeks ago. When I took the battery out of the car, I was able to fiddle with the charging posts enough to get the charger light not to flash, but it still flickered.

Greg Z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante

Thats why my Allante is banished ot the backyard, damn battery drain. Haven't started it in well over half a year, tired of messing with it.

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Z View Post
    Thats why my Allante is banished ot the backyard, damn battery drain. Haven't started it in well over half a year, tired of messing with it.
    his problem is battery damage, not drain. damaged caused by brute force.

your battery drain is most likely due to one of the following:
    - pull downs, trunk or soft top
    - door locks
    those are reported to be among the top two issues.

there are a whole lot of Allantes out there with that drain problem and people simply attach a battery tender and go on w/o a worry.

I bought a new battery at our local Sears hardware store this afternoon and installed it. I could then put the top down and take my wife out to dinner on this 80 degree fall day.

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Still great weather here in PA outside of Philly.

We went to a pig roast on Saturday and had the Allante out. Good photo opp and in the company of a few nice rides!

Michael Mullins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Silver/Burgandy

FYI -

Just purchased a "87 silver/burgandy and had a dead battery a couple of times overnight. Found one of the visor vanity mirrors was always on! Found the sliding contacts inside were broken loose and making contact all the time. Another place to look for an unexplained battery drain.

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mullins View Post
    FYI -

Just purchased a "87 silver/burgandy and had a dead battery a couple of times overnight. Found one of the visor vanity mirrors was always on! Found the sliding contacts inside were broken loose and making contact all the time. Another place to look for an unexplained battery drain.
    Hmmmmm....those &%($ VISORS

Hawk is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm not one to advertise products, but I bought 2 batteryminder plus' for my 93 allante and my 79 K-10 pickup. The allante only gets driven a few times a year, but the parasitic draw is managed well... the Chevy more often. I can say, I think the 'minder' made the battery better than new. Sulfation is the problem and even batteries on the shelf get it. The 496 big block turns faster now than when the battery was new!

I use a Battery Tender on my (removed) allante battery during the winter. Most winters, I also use it every couple weeks on my garden tractor battery. But, with all the snow this year, the tractor has been used every few days.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.