lowering the top
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, lowering the top in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just went through all 22 pages on this forum and did a search, can't find instructions for lowering the ...
    Ed_Hunt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

lowering the top

I just went through all 22 pages on this forum and did a search, can't find instructions for lowering the top of an '89. Can someone give me written instructions so I can print them out, please.
    Thanks, Ed Hunt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Re: lowering the top

For my 93 Allante, I have a pamphlet printed on cardstock that explains step by step on lowering the top. Perhaps I can scan it for you however it would be a little different than yours since you don't have electric headers.

stomper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Hunt View Post
    I just went through all 22 pages on this forum and did a search, can't find instructions for lowering the top of an '89. Can someone give me written instructions so I can print them out, please.
    Thanks, Ed Hunt
    1. open doors
    2. Pull the REAR OPEN lever, behind drivers seat
    3. Raise the rear window until it locks
    4. Pull the COVER OPEN lever, behind the drivers seat
    5. Lift the cover
    6. Unhook the front latches
    7. Lift front of soft cover and guide it into rear stow
    8. Place minicovers
    9. Close REAR COVER and DOUBLE CHECK IT IS SECURE
    10. Sit in car, close doors, start engine, GO !

to put up, do the reverse of:
    9, 8, 7. 6, 5, 3, 1

IF PULL DOWN is not where it should be, there is a MANUAL switch on the underside of the stowage area, use it as needed.
    DO NOT FORCE or SLAM anything, it WILL ruin your day !

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Early 1989 models did not have a self-stacking top, so there is an additional step if your Allante' has a VIN number lower than about ...KU100656. When lowering the top into the well, if you have an early '89 Allante' (or an '87 or '88 model), the second bow must be lifted prior to collapsing the top into the well. Otherwise, it goes about 1/3 of the way down and stops. If you lift the top back up about a foot, then pull up the second bow, then it will fold into the well the way it should.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Good catch. I knew there was something different about the early tops, but didn't remember what.

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by Allantesource View Post
    Early 1989 models did not have a self-stacking top, so there is an additional step if your Allante' has a VIN number lower than about ...KU100656. When lowering the top into the well, if you have an early '89 Allante' (or an '87 or '88 model), the second bow must be lifted prior to collapsing the top into the well. Otherwise, it goes about 1/3 of the way down and stops. If you lift the top back up about a foot, then pull up the second bow, then it will fold into the well the way it should.
    AND there is a picture of that canvas folding procedure in this site under my name .. the picture was provided by Allantesource.

is that the one you mean Dick?

lastly, keep a good eye on the rear window seal cuz if it hits the pull-down enclosure, it will tear, eventually.

Ed_Hunt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. I had an '89 about 5 years ago and it was wrecked. I just bought another and am waiting for the delivery. I just couldn't remember the steps.
    Ed

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Hunt View Post
    Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. I had an '89 about 5 years ago and it was wrecked. I just bought another and am waiting for the delivery. I just couldn't remember the steps.
    Ed
    hey, dont feel bad. I got two cars and every time we do the top up and down thing, its hell remembering what to do. it doesnt help that they are different generations, a phase-1 and a phase-2 or that the tops stay put for months at a time.

yesterday was one such hellish day .. it rained, can you believe it? rain in Sept in SoCA? freaky ! ! ! !

i go in for breakfast and i look out the window and it is raining on my recaro leather seats .. there we are standing in the downpour, trying to figure this out fast, on a car that I have put the top up only once before ..

then, as we finally get everything up and latched, STOPS RAINING ! IT DOES NOT RAIN AGAIN !

breakfast is cold, we are wet, the canvas top is wet, and it is not raining anymore and we still have to dry the seats.

today, I'm having a hot breakfast, rain or no rain!

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Wow, man, good thing it doesn't snow...

JIM HILL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Allante (1989 & 1993)

Hi, one of my Allantes is an 89, if you still need help with your top lowering get back to and I'll try to help you....JIM

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    i go in for breakfast and i look out the window and it is raining on my recaro leather seats .. there we are standing in the downpour, trying to figure this out fast, on a car that I have put the top up only once before ..
    Once eh...lucky SOB!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.