best model year
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, best model year in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; take your pick ... 1987 to 1992? forget the 1993s...
    Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

best model year

take your pick ...

1987 to 1992? forget the 1993s

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante

Re: best model year

1993 Hands down! Then I would pick the 1990 1/2 or the 1992 just for the upgrades and the Recarros. Sorry to bust your bubble, but the 1993 Northstar Allante is the best by far. My brakes work just fine and I don't have to worry about if they are going to fail w/o proper and timely service. I also kinda like the Old Man Seats as you call them. I would trade my Delcrap Stereo for your Bose in a NY minute.

Brian Bray is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allante North *
    1993 Hands down! Then I would pick the 1990 1/2 or the 1992 just for the upgrades and the Recarros. Sorry to bust your bubble, but the 1993 Northstar Allante is the best by far. My brakes work just fine and I don't have to worry about if they are going to fail w/o proper and timely service. I also kinda like the Old Man Seats as you call them. I would trade my Delcrap Stereo for your Bose in a NY minute.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so here is mine. Last year, I looked at a black '93 with 100M that had good care. I drove the car and it certainly had more pep than my '88. But, the quality of construction, especially the interior, didn't compare. The '93 seats didn't excite me nor did I find them bad compared with the Recaros, but they definitely were not the quality of seat that the Recaro seats are.

Granted, neither Cadillac nor Bosch indicated that the Bosch system requires annual fluid changes. Now that we know that the brake fluid has to be changed, it's just a matter of regular maintenance. The Bosch system does have components that have to be replaced after 75,000-100,000 miles but these systems are now available rebuilt for a reasonable price. Another maintenance item was that the aluminum engines require a semi-annual anti-freeze change. Even though that was in the manual, not many subscribed to that maintenance schedule; so some of the early models, especially the ones with the 4.1 engines got some bad press.

By the same token, it's not accurate to portray the '93s as a trouble-free car. That's just not true, especially the early ones. Many engines developed extensive oil leaks which require a complete engine tear down, the cost of which is considerably more than replacing the Bosch III brake components on the early models. The '93s brake system, although simpler than the Bosch III, ALSO requires regular fluid changes; so the car is certainly NOT maintenance-free.

I'd be the first to acknowledge some of the advantages of the '93s which included the elimination of the redundant lighting system and movement of the side mirrors of the earlier models. And the top well had been enlarged significantly by '93 and Porsche automatic windshield top latches (both changes had occured prior to '93) were in place, but there was no automatic top ever.

I have seen others mention that the elimination of the faux vent window in the '93s permitted more wind noise; but I didn't notice any significant difference.

In terms of prices, I've noticed the prices of '93s have fallen dramatically from the 20K+ while the prices of the earlier models has firmed up or even risen slightly. The '93 that I looked at was priced at $10,500 which was reasonable in my view.

I considered acquiring that car and then selling my '88; but I finally decided that I would actually PREFER my '88 to that particular car (and it was a nice car!). I did let everyone on the AAG site know about the availability of the car and said that I would be happy to pass the owner's name to any interested party.

Please note that I had no emails of inquiry which tells you something about the perceived value of '93's in the real world of knowledgable owners of Allantes.

Brian Bray

rickko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 STS, '06 DTS Performance, '04 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bray
    Please note that I had no emails of inquiry which tells you something about the perceived value of '93's in the real world of knowledgable owners of Allantes.

Brian Bray
    I don't think that has anything to do with the "perceived value of '93's.

Maybe there were no replies for the same reason you didn't give up your '88 for a '93 (ie. they already have one they've invested their time and $$$ into.).

Since most AAG members already own one I wouldn't expect any replies.

Now if you posted to a list of people who've never owned one but want one then I'd think you'd received many replies.

I for one think a 1st time buyer of an Allante will be far happier in the long run if they can find a decent late '93 rather than purchase a decent earlier model. Lets face it, the late '93s were Cadillac's best attempt at correcting and improving upon their original design.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Recardo seats. I don't like the long control panel, the unsightly hook that guides the seatbeat by the headrest or the starwars looking headrests themselves. I've always liked the standard cadillac looking (Eldorado) seats and headrests (they put in the '93). I've had 4 other Cadillacs.

Moreover, I love the contour of the rear boot on the '93 vice the sculptured look of the older boots. To me they look like basic molded plastic.

As you said, "Everyone is entitiled to their own opinion..." That's all I'm voicing.

..rickko..

Brian Bray is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickko
    I don't think that has anything to do with the "perceived value of '93's.

Maybe there were no replies for the same reason you didn't give up your '88 for a '93 (ie. they already have one they've invested their time and $$$ into.).

Since most AAG members already own one I wouldn't expect any replies.

Now if you posted to a list of people who've never owned one but want one then I'd think you'd received many replies.

I for one think a 1st time buyer of an Allante will be far happier in the long run if they can find a decent late '93 rather than purchase a decent earlier model. Lets face it, the late '93s were Cadillac's best attempt at correcting and improving upon their original design.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Recardo seats. I don't like the long control panel, the unsightly hook that guides the seatbeat by the headrest or the starwars looking headrests themselves. I've always liked the standard cadillac looking (Eldorado) seats and headrests (they put in the '93). I've had 4 other Cadillacs.

Moreover, I love the contour of the rear boot on the '93 vice the sculptured look of the older boots. To me they look like basic molded plastic.

As you said, "Everyone is entitiled to their own opinion..." That's all I'm voicing.

..rickko..
    Rickko,

Some would argue that the "improvement" of the car culminating in the '93 model was more of a cheapening of the car. I happen to believe that there was some improvements and there was some cheapening.

I also like the looks of the Cadillac seats. But I don't think they look any better (or worse) than the Recaros. I personally like a harder seat like a Recaro especially for longer trips. But understand that I also have a 450SL which I like the seats and we both know what MZB seats are like (Hard!!).

You may be very correct in that no one in AAG at that
    moment wanted to make an additional investment in an Allante, but the fact that at a $10,500 price which many would have said only a few months before was about 50% for a '93 market price didn't raise any comment was truly indicative of the lowering of the value of the '93s (which was my point).

I absolutely agree with you that the softop cover on the later models is far superior to the ones on the early models (especially the '87s and '88s like I have).

If the price was the same and the buyer had never owned an Allante, then I would agree that a '93 would probably be a more satisfying car than the older models; but the real issue is should that buyer pay a premium for a '93. I don't think so. Brian Bray

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Ladies, ladies, and gents...

Missing the point all of you are .. with an Allanté, one can't beat the value, even if it is a ‘93, for a car of this class. if there were only '93s, i be buying one.

BUT, between us, the Allanté owners:

ENGINE – PONIES & TORQUE
    Power, that is what we ALL Allanté owners want ...
    Compared to a ‘92, that is what the ‘93 has, not off the line, but at high speed and at the top of the torque curve.
    Off the line, it's a mute issue between a ‘92 and a ‘93.

Reliability? A late Northstar (not Allanté) is better than an early Northstar (‘93 Allanté). A ‘92 4.5l better than a ‘93 Northstar.

Give me a late model Northstar into my ‘88, or in a ‘92, with the proper DIC and ECM controls, and I am salivating.. can I afford it? Yeahh right!

SEATS –
    let's talk "World Class Cars"?
    RECAROS are the only choice of this level of cars, Allanté, Porche, Lincoln LCS, and a ton of other sports, GTs & roadsters -- european, japanese, no matter .. let's be real, a few like you may like the ElDorado "old man" seat, but is not going to be the choice seat for the rest of the planet.
    AND, to be REAL "REAL", the ONLY reason the ‘93 did not get the RECAROS is that Cadillac was doing COST SAVINGS .. several thousand $$$$ saved just in the seats.

STEREO –
    dahhhh ....
    even if a 87-92 BOSE capacitor blows after 16 yrs, so what .. replace it with a 50cent 16v cap form radio shack and a solder iron. No BOSE for ‘93s.
    HELLO!!!! COST SAVINGS

LIGHTING TECH -
    The lighting controls serve to program the Body Computer Module (BCM) with your desires for the way things should be, but the BCM actually calls the plays. All of the exterior lights (and inside courtesy lights) are turned ON and OFF by small electronic Modules by what you desire, understanding that the light unit you expect may or may not be the one turned on by the BCM as it substitutes failed bulbs or filaments to accomplish the job desired. And of course, reports failures (and in some cases failing but still working) of filaments or bulbs to the driver via the DIC.. This technological advance was deemed to extravagant for the 1993 .. don't know about you, but I like not needing help to check the lights anymore, the DIC tells me when one is needed.
    HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cost savings again.

QUIET CABIN -
    A claim in the sales brochures of the early models was that with the top down, the advanced aerodynamics allowed for a normal conversation at 55 mph - with the "FAUX vent window" and windows down, model years 1987 to 1992. The FAUX window vanished with the1993 models.
    HELLO!!!! COST SAVINGS.

ABS, Bosch -
    TRY IT .. high speed (60 mph) 90 degree turn, brakes applied, SHE GOES right where you want her!!!! Holly Sh.... It really works. 87 - 92.
    1993? Don't know .. my guess, NOT! Evidenced by the high number of front end collisions of ‘93s, I think the 93 ABS may not perform as well. It certainly does NOT perform better.
    sooo, we change the fluid every two years on the 87-92 ... big deal.

DOOR LATCHES -
    The door latches on all 1987 to 1992 Allanté are identical, with the sturdy tapered pin self centering which locks the door to the body perfectly. The door latch on a 1993 Allanté is identical to that on a economy 1997 Lumina ... HELLO!!!!!! COST SAVINGS. Be careful with potholes on the ‘93 .. things happen with the doors.

WHEELS -
    87-92 .. solid metal center caps, chrome wreath, metal colored crowns.
    Then, 93s went to PLASTIC CAP centers ... HELLO!!!! COST SAVINGS.

Canvas TOP -
    improved through the years, EVOLUTION. 93 better than 87, ok ...

BUT, all and all, Cadillac tried to sell an engine in ‘93, instead of a car ... slow sales got slower, then died, then the Allanté was terminated. Heck, they took off so many goodies away to pay for the Northstar, they downgraded the car as a whole. Stayed tuned, around the year 2020, we shall see what has staying power and value, the downgraded ‘93 or the fully equipped ‘87-‘92 .. then we will know.

BUYERS in the $60,000 range (1987-1993) do not buy engines, the buy CARS .. seats, ride comfort, sound, style, luxury, status .. the power is already an expectation, the rest is seen and felt. If they want more power than the 200 - 300 hp range, they go to a different breed of cars. Usually jumping to the 500 hp range, and much more than $60k.

would i trade off the Allanté? in a hearbeat, for a Diablo Lambo. lotto, here i come!

and after this RANT! one would agree, the best model year Allanté is of course, the one you own. now, if you don't own one yet, then the posibilities are ......

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    and after this RANT! one would agree, the best model year Allanté is of course, the one you own. now, if you don't own one yet, then the posibilities are ......

Good summary!

The best Allante is the one you drive, the rest are just eye candy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.