Voltage Indicator Light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Voltage Indicator Light in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Am I having fun yet or what!!! Didn't someone say owning a 90 Allante would be fun? So we are ...
    Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Voltage Indicator Light

Am I having fun yet or what!!! Didn't someone say owning a 90 Allante would be fun?

So we are driving home from a wedding...not far from home...and the VOLTS light appears on the dash. Hmmm, that's interesting as we keep motoring down the road. Then I notice the AC is blowing warm air, the TEMP sensor is climbing, and when we pull off the power steering is now manual in nature.

I shut the car off, do a little peeking under the hood (it's dark) and get back in and starts right up. Same symptoms though. My thoughts of going to sleep and having the Allante Fairy come and fix overnight were dashed as I have the same indicator and symptoms this morning.

Any relation between these 3 components? Where is the best place to start? I am waiting for the manual to arrive that I won on eBay this past week.

Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Voltage Indicator Light

Quote Originally Posted by Ieradi View Post
    Am I having fun yet or what!!! Didn't someone say owning a 90 Allante would be fun?

So we are driving home from a wedding...not far from home...and the VOLTS light appears on the dash. Hmmm, that's interesting as we keep motoring down the road. Then I notice the AC is blowing warm air, the TEMP sensor is climbing, and when we pull off the power steering is now manual in nature.

I shut the car off, do a little peeking under the hood (it's dark) and get back in and starts right up. Same symptoms though. My thoughts of going to sleep and having the Allante Fairy come and fix overnight were dashed as I have the same indicator and symptoms this morning.

Any relation between these 3 components? Where is the best place to start? I am waiting for the manual to arrive that I won on eBay this past week.

Thanks for any help!
    After further review....it appears that the BELT IS MISSING. It must have come off whilst cruising home. Well, a trip to the shop on Tuesday will take care of that as I am heading out of town.

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Thanks for any help!
    After further review....it appears that the BELT IS MISSING. It must have come off whilst cruising home. Well, a trip to the shop on Tuesday will take care of that as I am heading out of town.

I would think that would have made quite a racket. it was probably cracked and broke off.

serpentine belts should be replaced at the 1st sign of cracking in the groves
    not months later, but right away. hint: carry a spare.

you are lucky the engine didnt overheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    I would think that would have made quite a racket. it was probably cracked and broke off.

serpentine belts should be replaced at the 1st sign of cracking in the groves
    not months later, but right away. hint: carry a spare.

you are lucky the engine didnt overheat.

Well you would have thought that it would have made a noise but I tell you I heard nothing! Since I just got this car 2 weeks ago, I have not had time to thoroughly inspect all aspects. Hell, it's been down for a few days just getting the ignition rack replaced. It had some work done prior to me purchasing, and a recent inspection but....I guess these things happen.

Well, the owners manual should be here within a few days and I can get the speicifcs on what is what.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

While the belt is off, spin each pulley driven by the belt by hand. All should spin freely and quietly. Look closely at the pulley on the water pump for being loose. Grab it and try to wiggle it side to side. Should be no movement. Once all pulleys are verified as quiet and water pump pulley ok, replace belt. 50% of the time the belt fails because one of the pulleys is either misaligned or some driven component seizes.

Checked all the pully's and they were spinning fine.

Checked for wobbles...none to be found.

New 3 year warranty belt - $41 at Pep Boys.

Great day in Media, PA - going to tale a cruise.

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.